Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

What a waste of $600!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 04:18 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

OK! Your starting to become a little more clear,but I've still got a few questions. Who replaced the cam and how did they time it up? The air box is an easy one. If you still have all the wing nuts on the box and NO broken box studs and the lid is tight to seal the Uni filter you have,then that shouldn't be a problem. Did you have the carb float adjusted parallel with the carb body? Plus did you check the fuel pump flow by pulling the fuel line and cranking the engine over? Should be a steady pulse of fuel. The limiter switch is another easy one,you just pull the black wire from it and it defeats the module. It's located under the front panel and front rack (the other small square module is the reg/rectifier) On the etc switch on the older models,just have the thumb throttle snug with just a small amount of slack,1/16" to 1/8" free play. If it's still bogging or hesitating try lowering the e clip on the slide needle and see if this helps,IF not,go the other way a position or two(last post I read you were changing needle clip positions) OPT

Old 11-03-2012, 04:34 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mad-atver
okay sorry for the confusion but to recap we did the following
-cleaned carb, plus new needle and seat, adjusted it
-cleaned fuel tank plus new fuel lines
-new clutch buttons, belt
-new camshaft (not sure if HO one or not), new rockers

how do i know if airbox is leaking?, should i check the ETC or the speed limiter? how do i check them?
The only speed limiter that Polaris has on their quads is the one for reverse and you can override that with the reverse override button on the handlebar.If the ETC is out of adjustment then the quad will die when you let off of the gas.

You really need to know the numbers on the cam and what size the rockers are that you put in your motor.From what I read I thought that you put in a different size cam, which would alter your HP & TQ curve over the factory cam.An example of your cam numbers would be going from a .542/.542 to a .498/.498 intake and exhaust lift or 220/220 to a 224/224 duration.An example of a rocker size change could be going from a 1.5 ratio to a 1.6 ratio.BTW, those numbers are for a Mustang cam and roller rockers, not an ATV.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:47 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by WaaHeHe94
The only speed limiter that Polaris has on their quads is the one for reverse and you can override that with the reverse override button on the handlebar.If the ETC is out of adjustment then the quad will die when you let off of the gas.

You really need to know the numbers on the cam and what size the rockers are that you put in your motor.From what I read I thought that you put in a different size cam, which would alter your HP & TQ curve over the factory cam.An example of your cam numbers would be going from a .542/.542 to a .498/.498 intake and exhaust lift or 220/220 to a 224/224 duration.An example of a rocker size change could be going from a 1.5 ratio to a 1.6 ratio.BTW, those numbers are for a Mustang cam and roller rockers, not an ATV.
Jump right in,the waters fine! Maybe between several us us we can help this young man one way or another figure out what he has done and what needs to be done. OPT

Old 11-03-2012, 04:49 PM
Range Rover

my quad dies when you let off the gas in reverse unless i hold the button, will this effect forward driving tough? my dad is the expert he adjusted the carb so many times i think its ok. yes we tested the fuel pump and lots of fuel came out. we tried adjusting the e-clip too. and come to think of it my airbox might have a small crack on the front is this a problem?

Old 11-03-2012, 04:53 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

PULL the black wire from the reverse limiter module under the front panel! It sounds like the same old problem that all of em eventually have. The limiter sounds like it's trying to short out. I never replaced em except if customers wanted the safety device. Don't know if this is your solution,but does sound like a problem. Any cracks,leaks on the old air boxes can be a problem also!OPT

Old 11-03-2012, 06:22 PM
Range Rover

Is your 500 stock or has it been modified in any way (other than the mystery cam and rocker arms) like with an exhaust or maybe an aftermarket CDI like a Rick's CDI box that Dennis Kirk or Rocky Mountain ATV sells?The only time that I've ever seen a person use the reverse override button is when they put on something like an aftermarket exhaust becuase an aftermarket pipe usually raises the RPM range over what the reverse override is set at from the factory.

When the ETC gets out of adjustment the quad will die when you let off the gas in the forward gear and just like if you hit the kill switch mounted on the handlebars.If your ETC is out of adjustment your quad won't feel lazy or like it's bogging down or like it's hitting a rev limiter, it will just die when you let off of the gas, plain and simple.

What adjustments did your dad make to your carb?Did he adjust the air screw?Did he change the main jet?Did he adjust the clip on the needle that positions how far the slide opens and closes?Did he change the pilot jet?If your 500 is stock then everything should be set at the OEM specs and then I would jet for the new cam if it needs it
If you still have it look at the part numbers on the invoice for your cam and try to see if you can find out what the lift and duration of the cam are from the company that made it.Also determine if it's a factory cam for your 500, one for a 500 H.O. or an aftermarket cam.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:18 PM
Pro Rider

mad-atver..... have you checked the exhaust for a mud dauber nest or to see if anything else has plugged or restricted your exhaust flow?....... NoJoke

Old 11-03-2012, 10:20 PM
Range Rover

my sportsman 500 is bone stock except for a UNI air filter. he adjusted everything on the carb. can i just leave the wire unplugged on the speed limiter? we'll have a look at the exhaust tomorrow

Old 11-04-2012, 03:39 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mad-atver
my sportsman 500 is bone stock except for a UNI air filter. he adjusted everything on the carb. can i just leave the wire unplugged on the speed limiter? we'll have a look at the exhaust tomorrow
yes lust leave it unhooked. now this is starting to sound like the 400 i just worked on w/ it running great for about a 1/4 throttle and then the limiter kicks in. as mentioned it might just be the limiter acting up. it's easy to find out by doing what they mentioned to rule it out.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:39 AM
Range Rover

well yesterday , we took the muffler off and it didn't help and we tried unhooking some wires but the limiter seemed like it was still working, we didn't quite figure it out. but i don't think it matters because i think we found the problem! we took the rubber adapter from the carb to the engine off and put sealant on it and it revved alot higher, then we adjusted the e-clip again and it seems to go pretty good! i ordered a new adapter for $80, because the old one was abit warped, but i just hope next time i get on it, it will still go good!

Quick Reply: What a waste of $600!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!