Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris winch rope?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 10:50 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris winch rope?

I had a warn winch put on my quad under warranty in the spring after 3 of the Polaris 3500 lb winch's quit on me last winter, the warn came with cable instead of rope, I must have screwed up the cable over the summer when I was pulling boat lifts around because we got snow today and my cable snapped the third time I lifted the plow.

I went and bought a new rope from the dealer along with a Hawse fairlead, take it home, pull the cable off, then see that the new rope is not spliced on one end

Phoned them and they said you just have to tie the hook on

I tied it and finished the job but the rope is already fraying where it sits on the pin, I thought it should come with a loop in one end, anyone know how I tie it on to make it last? it was $101.00 for the rope and fairlead and I'm not any better off than I was before

Name:  016-3.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  116.0 KB

Name:  018-1.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  85.5 KB

looking like winter around here today.

Name:  020.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  95.8 KB

Name:  021-1.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  64.3 KB

Old 11-03-2012, 05:32 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

that doesn't seem right that you have to tie the rope on?

Old 11-03-2012, 11:18 PM
Range Rover

I agree it doesn't seem right. However you may try using a thimble, it is the metal hoop in your old steel cable. Tie the rope around that and then pin your hook through the thimble.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:13 AM
Range Rover

Thanks guys, I don't think it's right either and will never buy a replacement Polaris rope again, I posted this question on my local Saskatchewan ATV forum and a guy that has the fids has offered to come over and splice it for me, he says it only takes him about 3-5 mins, I will be watching and trying to learn, lol.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a search online. Seen some stuff on there before on how to splice. Next time you need rope go on ebay. Amsteel is the best out there and costs half what the stealer gets-and it comes looped!!! If you plow a lot I suggest getting a 12-15' length of 1/4" for that. The stock sized rope will break over time.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:08 AM
Pro Rider

That's not correct watch this video you need to install a thimble How to replace the thimble in your Amsteel Blue Winch Rope - YouTube

Old 11-06-2012, 08:19 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure I'm understanding you correctly- the new synthetic blue rope is cut on one side and has a spliced loop on the other?

are you sure you have the right end of the rope on the drum?

the cut end should go to the winch drum and the spliced loop end to the lanyard- just like a steel cable.

Trending Topics

Old 11-07-2012, 11:32 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by beergut
I'm not sure I'm understanding you correctly- the new synthetic blue rope is cut on one side and has a spliced loop on the other?

are you sure you have the right end of the rope on the drum?

the cut end should go to the winch drum and the spliced loop end to the lanyard- just like a steel cable.
There is no spliced loop on one end, both ends are cut off, I was amazed to open the package and see that, I wouldn't have bought it if I knew it didn't come with a loop on one end, I took a quick look at it when I pulled it off the wall at Polaris and it looked like one end had a loop, when I opened it at home it did not, I phoned the dealer and they said you just have to tie the hook on and that the one's from Polaris don't come with the loop

Next time I will be buying a different one that I know has a spliced loop on one end, they are all over e-bay and for cheaper than what I paid, I would have taken it back but it was a situation of my plow laying in the road, a 2 hour return trip with the bad roads and I just wanted to finish the job so I tied it on.

I posted this question on my local ATV forum and a guy has offered to come and splice one end for me

I have been thinking of just running a ratchet strap into the winch for plowing, should be strong and if it breaks I'm only out a few bucks, anyone ever try that?

Old 11-07-2012, 11:37 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah- that's not right, so it's basically just a rope

I'd bitch too!

Old 11-07-2012, 04:37 PM
Range Rover

Yeah I have heard of using a boat strap in there cut to length. Just remeber if you take the plow off and go riding that you don't really have a winch until you put the cable back on,

Quick Reply: Polaris winch rope?