Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Predator 500 starter problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 09:28 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Predator 500 starter problem

I just got this 04 predator but I am having problems getting the starter to turn.. it feels weak for some reason. If I take out the spark plug I can hear it turning but with it in it wont even turn sometimes.. I ordered a new battery for it but since I have tried it with a jump box I am not very confident that a new battery would solve the case.... is it the starter for sure or could it be something else? I want to make sure before I order a new starter.... (is it hard to change the starter?)
thanks

Old 11-03-2012, 09:57 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Starter clutch assy could be the problem on dragging and not the starter itself. #3088048. Look under your model on "magneto" and shows the breakdown of the one way starter clutch and also under starter for it's breakdown. Browse If you narrow it down to just the starter you can get one here fairly cheap. DB Electrical - Polaris OPT

Old 11-03-2012, 01:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Starter clutch assy could be the problem on dragging and not the starter itself. #3088048. Look under your model on "magneto" and shows the breakdown of the one way starter clutch and also under starter for it's breakdown. Browse If you narrow it down to just the starter you can get one here fairly cheap. DB Electrical - Polaris OPT
how can I tell if its the starter clutch or the starter itself?

Old 11-03-2012, 02:32 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You can pull the starter and outer cover to expose the two reduction gears and the starter clutch.You can check out the reduction gears,shafts along with the starter clutch.The internal bearing and outer starter gear should freewheel easily one direction and lock up the starter gear the opposite direction. This is just an old sprague type one way clutch. You can check the starter motor out itself by grounding the motor to the frame and hitting the start button. Not a precise way to test it,but it should turn fast with no sticking or binding. Look back at the breakdown list on "magneto cover" and will show the reduction gears also. OPT

Old 11-04-2012, 06:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

I did that yesterday and the started does seem like it is the problem... even with no drag ( i removed the gears) it wasnt turning good.... so I am going to order a new (used) starting motor from ebay.... also when I took that cover out I didnt notice a gasket... is this normal? should I order one? and all the oil that leaked when I took the cover out, how do I put it back since there isnt an oil hole in the engine? will it automatically go back when I start up the engine?

Old 11-04-2012, 08:13 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Order a new gasket(sounds like someone's been in there before) I wouldn't buy a used starter as they are cheap enough here as I previously mentioned! Oil will come from the engine.Just check /add to the oil level in the tank. DB Electrical - Polaris OPT