Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris Phoenix, Stalling Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012 | 07:45 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Polaris Phoenix, Stalling Issue?

2006 Polaris Phoenix. I know it's a piece of crap but I got it for my gf since my options are limited as far as smaller fully automatic atv's go.

anyway, last weekend we were riding and it shut off. fooled with it on the trail but nothing. drug it out of the woods with my Honda and of course it starts. runs for a few minutes...shuts off and is done for the night.

since then, i have replaced the spark plug and rebuilt the carb.

after doing the above it fired up on Monday and runs better than it ever has since i got it.
very pleased until today, first time it's been started since. took it on the first real test ride since working on it and after it gets warmed up good and i let off the throttle it dies. won't start... 10 minutes later starts again. ride it.... stalls and won't start.

coincidentally the fuel filter i ordered for it showed up in the mail... put it on and put some more (additional) gas in it, starts and runs great.

take it for a ride, stalls once and begrudgingly restarts and has been running since... knock on wood.

anyway, this is a long winded post. just wanted to know if anyone had similar issues or suggestions for me to check because I'm afraid to take this thing out of the yard for fear of being stranded with it.

Thanks!

Old 11-15-2012 | 07:50 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You might want to check the fuel lines out from the tank into the valve (item #10) to see if there might be trash or some other kind of blockage. http://www.cyclepartswarehouse.com/f...2006&fveh=5686 OPT

Old 12-01-2012 | 04:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am having a similar problem with my wife 2007 polaris phoenix.

Runs fine for the first 20m or so then stars stalling and wont start after it cools down, 45-1 hour.

Cleant the carb, change spark plug already.

I did check few things immediately after it stalls.

Took the spark plug off(hot) and there is spark.
Drain the crab bowl and there was fuel.

Checked fuel lines and they look clean and there seems to be a good flow of fuel.

Before this issue it ran for a good 2 hours without any problems.

Old 12-01-2012 | 05:09 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

I'd check the plastic valve and fuel flow same as the person that posted earlier(haven't heard back?) Plus make sure the gas cap vent tube is open.Just blow through the hose with the cap off to tell. Sounds like you might be having a vapor lock problem somewhere. If fuel is low enough in the tank,try running with the cap off and see if it still stalls. Could be as simple as a restricted cap. Plus if valve clearance hasn't been checked/ adjusted,you might have them checked out.Don't have the specs on valve clearance,but will check and post back unless other Phoenix owners join in. . OPT

Old 12-01-2012 | 05:17 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

I'd check the plastic valve and fuel flow same as the person that posted earlier(haven't heard back?) Plus make sure the gas cap vent tube is open.Just blow through the hose with the cap off to tell. Sounds like you might be having a vapor lock problem somewhere. If fuel is low enough in the tank,try running with the cap off and see if it still stalls. Could be as simple as a restricted cap. Valve clearance is I believe .003 intake and exhaust also if you haven't checked. If clearance is too tight could cause the problem also as it warms up and clearance decreases. OPT

Old 12-01-2012 | 06:05 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Polaris tech, thanks for the reply. Teleman, sounds like we are in the same boat. I have since cleaned my tank and lines. Coincidently after i starting back up my drive clutch came loose and boogered up my crank. Im waiting to get it back from being machined to test for sure. Should've checked the valve clearance while i had the gas tank off...but was lazy and didnt. If i ever get it back and it still stalls ill follow up again.

Old 12-01-2012 | 06:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Tested already with the cap off and already adjusted the valves(.003).

The phoenix runs really good until it stalls.

If it was a fuel problem, then the bowl will be empty when it finally dies, I empty it right after the stall and there was still gas in the bowl.

Also pull the spark plug and I see spark.

Tested also the coil iginition and is within specs(ohms).

Spark Plug getting too hot?

Old 12-01-2012 | 06:46 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Teleman, how out of spec were your valves?

Old 12-01-2012 | 06:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hardly anything .001 at the most.
I pre-order the gasket in case it will brake, but the original was still in prestine condition.

Old 12-01-2012 | 09:09 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

cool, i haven't heard a lot about valve adjustment on the phoenix's (not that it rules out the possibility of needing it), but it sounds like we have the same problem. on a side note, hopefully your clutches stay put unlike mine. I just need the phoenix to give us a few good rides between now and summer we'll get her a better bike anyway.

Quick Reply: Polaris Phoenix, Stalling Issue?