Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

500 MAG OR SP500

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2001, 08:04 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

500mag or SP500, some prefer mag some sp what do you like better , I have not driven either so I would welcome your opinions.

Old 03-22-2001, 08:15 PM
Pro Rider

I think it depends on if you like having a straight axle or independant suspension in the back, hopefully they will make the engine the HO like the sportsman

Old 03-22-2001, 09:42 PM
Pro Rider

depends largely on what you intend to use it for. personally i'd take the magnum because my nephew has one and it has never once let him down except for his brakes and speedo. plus it has never broke a belt unlike his dad's sp500 which was under a year old at the time and was always treated like a baby. the magnum gets treated like a red headed stepchild day in and day out.

just a thought,

texascat

Old 03-23-2001, 11:04 AM
Pro Rider

"the magnum gets treated like a red headed stepchild day in and day out."

Yes.. Why is that?

Anyway... regarding reliability. The Magnum is more durable. Less moving parts. Less CV joints, less seals, less weight, less maintenance.

More pulling power. The front final drive ratio on the Magnum is 3.7:1 whereas the Sportsman 500 is 2:1. When pulling, the rear suspension of the Magnum will raise up forcing the tires harder onto the ground and the Sportsman will squat on it's suspension . More power to the ground with a Magnum. So based upon front drive axle ratios, the Sportsman will be more prone to burning belts when pulling heavy loads, because the two machines have the same driven clutch.

IRS has its benefits but... Ice will never tear the CV boots on the rear axle of a Magnum.

I like both machines but really do think that most people do not understand or appreciate the Magnums.

They are not as good as the Sportsman in the "Whoops" but do we always have to drive on the edge?

Old 03-23-2001, 11:21 AM
Trailblazer

Thor, do you think the RMK MAG will de throne the SP.Thanks all for your replies.

Old 03-23-2001, 10:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ride them both and then decide for yourself. Opinions are helpful at times, but you are the ultimate last word. However, I must say the Sportsman rules in the comfort catagory. Rides like my Tundra, but pulls like my John Deere.
I have a DU500 HO due next week so my vote is Sportsman all the way.

Old 03-23-2001, 11:21 PM
Trailblazer

I've never ridden the magnum but i have ridden a sp a little, not enough to tell anything about the suspension(just drove up and down friends driveway) anyways i can tell you a little about reliability, my friends sp is a '96 and has never had belt problems the only thing that ever happend was with a flywheel or something(freak accident don't have details), he takes it to get serviced once a year but during deer/duck season it gets tortured, never washed and he never does anything with the grese fittings(again only done during the once a year service) so all these things about reliabilty shouldn't scare you off, just an old rumor. Anyway now a have a question of everyone else that is a little off the subject, i've been hearing alot about the magnum RMK. Can someone fill me in?

Old 03-24-2001, 11:49 AM
Pro Rider

Until Polaris introduced the H.O. model the Magnum would regularly out run the Sportsman 500 on the long straight trails.

Old 03-24-2001, 12:05 PM
Pro Rider

Now for the SP's good points.

1 Better ride over rough ground.

2 More ground clearanceso it goes over rocks not skips off the top of them.

3 larger gas tank so you do not need to bring along a extra gas can on those long outings.

4 With the H.O motor it will kicks the Magnums butt hard.

Old 03-24-2001, 12:10 PM
Pro Rider

"Red headed step child" That is a good one I almost hurt myself laughing!LLLOOOLLL

Quick Reply: 500 MAG OR SP500