Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

500 MAG OR SP500

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2001, 01:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Thor, do you think the RMK MAG will de throne the SP.Thanks all for your replies."

No, there are advocates on both sides of the fence on this one depending on their own individual riding preferences and priorities.

However... The ViscoLok front differential may be appearing in more Polaris models as time goes by.
No more 4x4 by wire (increased relability)

No more losing 4wd because of sticks,sensors, switches or dead batteries. Something to consider.
Is it important to me? Not really I don't ride in the hills of the Rockies or the Appalachians so the down hill pucker factor does not apply in my case.

Now if I was a regular mountain rider? I would opt for the RMK in a heartbeat.

Old 03-24-2001, 07:26 PM
Pro Rider

But will Polaris still be true 4wd with this new front end? Or will it be a 3 legged cripple like the rest? That was the whole point behind the 4x4 wire wasn't it?

Old 03-24-2001, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider

It is the same front end that is used in the Bombardier Traxter and they have never been accused of three wheeling.

Old 03-25-2001, 07:07 PM
Pro Rider

honestly, if you have three wheels on the ground at any one time, do you still have four wheel drive? hell no, because that one tire ain't doing a damn thing but spinning freely. if all my wheels are in contact with the ground, all four are pulling. plus when i engage 4wd with my LEVER i know my front diff is pulling and that i don't have to wait until my rear wheels spin 20% faster than than my fronts. the phrase "polaris has the only true four wheel drive" is becoming rather old but it seems to be the only comeback in any comparison between polaris and any other quad. three wheel drive, what a crock of sh*t. can't you guys do any better in rationalizing why you bought a polaris in the first place? or is that the only reason?

texascat
2001 Arctic Cat 500 Auto
all stock: you can't improve perfection

Old 03-26-2001, 12:13 PM
Pro Rider

I was riding up a rocky steep hill with a 300 Kawaski 4x4 one time going fishing.On the way up the left front wheel came across a foot high rock that stop that wheel from turning. I was in low range and tried to walk the left front wheel over the rock but only the other 3 wheels were turning ,yet all wheels were on the ground! Now if I was on a true 4wd machine at the time the front left wheel would of tried to climed that rock and not just stopped hoping the other 3 wheels could free wheel it over the object.

Old 03-26-2001, 01:22 PM
Pro Rider

Quote from TexasCat

"plus when i engage 4wd with my LEVER i know my front diff is pulling and that i don't have to wait until my rear wheels spin 20% faster than than my fronts."

+ I think the operative word here is rotate rather than spin. A lot of people do not understand that. For instance when you climb onto a trailer that is 1 foot off of the ground you are in four wheel drive and the rear tires do not "spin" on the blacktop.

"but it seems to be the only comeback in any comparison between polaris and any other quad."
"three wheel drive, what a crock of sh*t."

+ Here we go again. Have you ever watched a Grizzly in the mud? Now that is three wheel drive.

Old 03-26-2001, 04:36 PM
Pro Rider

i responded in the way i did because i didn't like my ac being lumped into the cripple category. while the ac is not pretty or very fast, it is definitly not a gimp. sorry if i ruffled your feathers but my dad just passed away 15 days ago and i am still feeling the effects of that so bear with me--i'm not usually this way.

texascat

Old 03-27-2001, 01:10 PM
Pro Rider

The RMK is basically a Magnum that is geared a little lower than the 'regular' model, has a little heavier springs on its suspension, and instead of the electric 4wd hubs, it has a visco-lock front differential to allow for 4 wheel engine braking in the hills and mountains.
Otherwise, same engine and basic chassis as the Magnum.

Old 03-27-2001, 07:30 PM
Pro Rider

My wife and I have owned both so I can say with some certainty that about 98% of the points being made here by Polaris owners are valid. Personal preference and your riding purpose / terrain will have a lot to do with your decision. We only trail ride our machines for recreation. I’ve always been a Sportsman guy but my wife REALLY liked her last Mag 500 (’99) until she fell in love with the looks of the DUSE. Although she likes it, I don’t think she’s quite as happy riding her SP. Every time we’re on the trail and the subject comes up she gets this far off stare and say’s “I LOVED my Magnum.”

Ride ‘em both and don’t be too worried about making a bad decision to own either one.