Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

02 700 Sportsmans not charging?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 05:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 700 Sportsmans not charging?

Hello all. First post here. Trying to figure out what is wrong with my father's ATV.

He called stranded in woods that ATV was dead. Drove truck to him and hooked up jumper's and it started up. This was at night (deer season) so after he took off jumper's and flipped the lights on it killed it. Hooked jumper's back on, started it up, flipped lights on and very dim. Took jumpers off, it died. So, jumped it again and left lights off. As he got near home, I noticed one hell of a backfire and he said it was running like crap. So I took battery out and charged it overnight (it's a brand new battery).

So today I put it in and let the positive hang loose so I can touch and remove it. It starts right up and when I remove the positive it dies. That tells me the charging system isn't working. I then started Googling and found several posts by OPT to start with. After reading I started taking the plastic off to start the troubleshooting.

Found the rectifier and started unplugging/plugging connections around it. I noticed the red wire coming out of it that connects to the double red wires had definitely got hot as the plastic connector was slightly melted/warped. I bridged that connection, started up, removed positive, it died. I then hooked up voltmeter, turned key on, saw around 12.8 volts (battery voltage) and started it up. The reading jumped up to 14.4 or so and went slight up and down based on revs. The voltmeter was hooked up to the red coming out of rectifier that connects to the double red.

I found a wiring diagram and attempted to follow what I could unplugging/plugging and checking the connections. I am stumped at this point. Based on my searching, I am assuming the stator and rectifier are okay, but really don't know. Was I checking the voltage at proper spot? I have followed the wires from stator to where it starts to split by fuel **** to the rectifier. Not seeing any damage. From the rectifier I attempted to follow the double red and brown, but it goes into a big bundle. Diagram shows one should go to starter solenoid and other to 20 amp breaker...I think.

Anyways, what is next step? I have read possible faulty ECM and breakers. I am no expert by any means and have searched as much as possible before posting. Thanks for any advice on the matter

Old 11-20-2012, 06:15 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Welcome! All your checking isn't going to get any good results if you still have the Ducati ignition and charging system. This changed to a Kokusan complete kit #2202602 including the flywheel,stator,cdi,coil,regulator/rectifier,jumper wires and instructions.Look at all the associated posts on the early 2002-2004 model 700 ignition problems. The kit costs somewhere around $450. OPT

Old 11-20-2012, 08:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

have you checked all your grounds, also check the wires coming out of the stator housing in the rubber grommet, don't unhook battery cables when machine is running, can't remember why, but I remember reading it in one of the manuals somewhere, maybe it only pertained to newer models, anyway, wiggle the wires going into that grommet when testing to see if it react differently, I had one were the wire was broken inside the wire plastic casing

gates

Old 11-21-2012, 05:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by gatess
have you checked all your grounds, also check the wires coming out of the stator housing in the rubber grommet, don't unhook battery cables when machine is running, can't remember why, but I remember reading it in one of the manuals somewhere, maybe it only pertained to newer models, anyway, wiggle the wires going into that grommet when testing to see if it react differently, I had one were the wire was broken inside the wire plastic casing

gates
I will go over all the wires again tomorrow. Need to take more plastic off and work went way over today so no luck. Was going to start with stator wires and go from there.

OPT, I have seen you state that the Ducati is a big pile, no arguements. I am just hoping its a bad connection somewhere to get him through the winter. I told him about the replacement and the price and that is just something out of his range at this time. I found your link to the replacement guide pdf and that looks like something I can do. It's just something he can't afford at this time of the year.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:42 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Malarkie
I will go over all the wires again tomorrow. Need to take more plastic off and work went way over today so no luck. Was going to start with stator wires and go from there.

OPT, I have seen you state that the Ducati is a big pile, no arguements. I am just hoping its a bad connection somewhere to get him through the winter. I told him about the replacement and the price and that is just something out of his range at this time. I found your link to the replacement guide pdf and that looks like something I can do. It's just something he can't afford at this time of the year.
Understand completely! Hope it's just a short or loose wire,etc,since it has lasted this long. Have someone ride with him at all times as this ignition can quit at any time though. Good luck and have a Happy Thanksgiving! OPT

Old 11-22-2012, 07:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

So I got a chance to get back at it today. I did my best to chase every wire I could and check grounds. I even pulled the right side cover off to peek inside around the stator assembly and it was nice and clean with grommet looking good (wires too). Started it up, pulled positive off and it died.

At this point, I said screw it and watched the Texans / Lions play out in overtime. While watching the kickers miss field-goals I got to thinking about Gatess post about not removing positive from battery. Maybe an ATV system needs the battery hooked up to complete the entire circuit for it. Is that true? I just assumed from automotive experience that if you remove the positive, vehicle will still run off the alternator.

I then hooked up voltmeter across the battery, + - posts. Showed 12.7 volts, turned key on and it dropped to 12.6, started it up and it jumped to 14.4. So it's now charging correct? Did some revving and it jumped way up at times. 17, 19, and I assume over 20v as meter was set to 20v. Turned it to 200v and did some revving and it showed a constant 14.4v.

After all of that I guess that ONE connection coming of the rectifer (red "with red connector" to double red "with black connector") was the issue. It's the only thing I really messed with. That connector was warped and melted and I guess lost connection. I hope that will work for now.

Happy Thankgiving !!!

Old 11-23-2012, 10:47 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Glad you have the charging fixed for now,BUT DON'T let him ride alone! Look at all the other posts on this system and the problems.Not just the controller modules(combo cdi/coil) would fail,but stators could simply fail and also fry regulator/rectifiers from the charge coil.Possibly that's what it's started doing now. He can be stranded when this system does fail and most will.This is just from my experience with the Ducati system. Good luck OPT

Old 11-24-2012, 02:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Before you try all of the expensive fixes as other users stated test the battery. Eventhough it is new don't mean its good go to a local auto parts store advanced or auto zone and they will test the battery for you they will charge it I realize you said that you already have but they will also monitor it to make sure that it is capable of holding a charge if it dies hold a charge then go about the electrical system

Nevermind I didn't realize you resolved the problem until I had already posted