Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Overheated 2008 Polaris Sportsman 800

Old 10-19-2013, 11:12 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If you replace the w/p seal the right way and remove the cover the oil seal will stare you in the face also. Easy to replace both seals this way without damaging the shaft! Just look at the manual.

Old 10-19-2013, 03:55 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Sorry, the parts breakdown doesn't show the pic of the oil seal behind the w/p seal (#11) in the link I posted earlier. The oil seal is shown in the ignition section breakdown(stupid not to show it with the w/p seal also) That's why I said it just as simple to replace both seals at the same time with the cover off.Item #8 Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 11-07-2013, 12:05 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about the seal for the crankshaft. I wasn't thinking and ordered the oil seal and wate rpump seal along with all the gaskets but I forgot the seal that also goes in the stator housing for the crank shaft. Should I be okay ? all my parts are ready for pick up and they would have to order.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:56 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

This seal should be okay. If your careful removing the cover,you can reuse it.It holds the oil in that lubricates the internal gears. Main thing is that you have the w/p seal,the small oil seal behind it,the case gasket and new o-ring for the w/p cover.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:10 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks OPT! I took her out for a 26 mile trail ride with no problems whatsoever. She even seems to have more horsepower but that could be from all new air filters and oil change. No leaks, no overheating and my fan is cycling like it should!

Old 11-13-2013, 12:48 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

It's not that bad to change the w/p seal and oil seal once you do it the right way and pull the cover. Hopefully no more problems!

Old 09-01-2017, 08:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 06 rad issue

Hey just wondering if anyone has ever had there 800 sportsman heat up an force all the rad fluid out the over flow jug cap , happened too me well I was out trying too get to my bear bait on Sunday , I don't recall if the fan came on or not all I know is it was bubbling like crazy an smoking like crazy left me with a long walk back to my truck

Old 09-02-2017, 02:56 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Several things can cause over heating. Dirty radiator especially at the back around the fan area. Fan motors out. You can hot wire it to see if it's working. Also the fan relay has a 20 amp circuit breaker up the harness that supplies power to the relay.If it's corroded that could be the problem.Or something simple as trapped air in the cooling system. This you can remove by jacking the front end up and leaving the radiator cap off while it's running. Hopefully the fan will cycle on and off.

Old 09-04-2017, 01:52 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if the fan is working then check for s plugged (the back side toward fan) fins in the rad. trust me it does not take much mud to plugged them up and it will over heat. these twins run hot. I 've had to actually take my radiator out and clean the back side w/ only about 23% caked in mud to stop the over heating.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey guys
New to this site and new to owning an ATV. I realize this thread is quite old but seen some really helpful people on here that im hoping will help me.
OK so problem. This weekend i took both the newly purchased(for me) 2004 polaris sportsman 600 and 2008 polaris sportsman 800 EFI Touring. They were both sitting in a unheated garage for a week in -10c temperatures. Not sure this makes a difference or not.
Unloaded from the truck and drove down the trail for a 20 minutes a a slower rate of speed. I look back and the 2004 had a big steam cloud. ran over to see if wife was ok and hot was flashing, coolant had basically all came outof oth rad band overflow. The fan was working as it should be.
So hooked her up to the 800 and started limping back to truck and.... Bam the 800 does the exact same thing!!! Ugh turned a nice family day into frustration.
What could this be?1. Dont think it is the head gaskets as no power loss, no air bubbles in rad. 2. Dont think it is thermostat as OPT said it is rarely them and to have both fail? 3. Could it be air in the systems? or perhaps frozen line somewhere?
Thanks for any and all help

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Overheated 2008 Polaris Sportsman 800