Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Ha ha success finally...one more big issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 11:51 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ha ha success finally...one more big issue

So finally I am successful in getting my 89 Trail boss up and running. However as I started it I "attempted" to turn it off so I could adjust the throttle. Unfortunately my attempt was unsuccessful I turn the key off and turn the engine to off. However the engine continued to run, I eventually yanked the spark plug and was able to turn it off.
So what gives. As far as I knew there was no electrical issues, and if it needed a new kill switch turning the key off should still have shut it off. The only thing I noticed is that I do have the black wire on the ETI box on the front disconnected but can't remember where it connects to. So any help as always would be appriciated. Now on to figuring out the brakes and where this oil piece goes???

Old 12-01-2012, 12:00 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

The black wire disconnected from the cdi is the problem! This is the kill circuit to the cdi. Pull the tank cover and on the left side is the circuit board and the black wire from the cdi hooks into the board at the top left along with the reverse limiter black wire(which you can disconnect) as they do eventually have problems. You will have full power in reverse now.What "oil piece" are you talking about?? OPT

Old 12-01-2012, 02:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sucess

So I got my electrical issue worked out she runs like a bute. My remaining few issues are adjusting the throttle. The oil piece thats in the picture has something to do with the oil running directly into the gas line?? The manual doesn't make alot of sense to me as how it is described. Then the brakes and figuring out if I have a parking brake or not?
Then its just putting her all back together and going for a ride.

Old 12-01-2012, 02:23 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Dakotablood
So I got my electrical issue worked out she runs like a bute. My remaining few issues are adjusting the throttle. The oil piece thats in the picture has something to do with the oil running directly into the gas line?? The manual doesn't make alot of sense to me as how it is described. Then the brakes and figuring out if I have a parking brake or not?
Then its just putting her all back together and going for a ride.
At the end of the throttle housing is a black boot covering the adjuster screw. Pull the boot back,loosen the knurled lock nut,screw the adjuster in or out to get 1/8" play at the thumb throttle and then tighten the lock nut. The oil line runs from the oil tank to the oil pump at the back of the engine. A smaller line runs from the pump to the cylinder base inlet. It's metered by the split throttle cable that lifts the oil pump arm as the throttle increases. It sprays oil into the cylinder and mixes with the fuel/air mixture from the carb. The master cylinder should have a locking lever that engages the notches on the brake lever(unless it's been lost or removed) OPT