Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

400 sport/scrambler/trailblazer pipe/silencer

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 11:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400 sport/scrambler/trailblazer pipe/silencer

Ok guys, I'm doing some research on what I should get when I order a pipe for my 03 trailblazer. I've seen atleast half a dozen different pipes from several different manufacturers and I want to know (from your experience) which one is worth it's salt so-to-speak. Is it just a pipe? Is it a pipe/silencer combo or is it two completely separate pieces? or is the factory silencer good enough with the right pipe? I don't race(other than the once in a blue moon me and a buddy get that wild hair), I do quite a bit of 15 to 35mph trail riding. I do like to play in the mud every now and again... What are some recommendations? I'm sure somebody has some insight on something like this... I'm not gonna say money isn't an object(because it is), but at the same time I know I'm going to have to spend something to get what I'm wanting too.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:46 AM
Trailblazer

I would start out with a good clutch kit from HPD OR RCR.Then get a rzr belt polaris #3211113 these mods alone may be enough for your trail riding and if you do buy a pipe you'll need the clutch kit anyways for best performance.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider

I've done both springs and that belt. I've also done a high compression head and a bored carb and a top end rebuild all parts provided by Rick Ritter. I'm happy with the way it runs now for sure, but that said I'm also a guy. I'm in search of that ever elusive extra horsepower. And without going with a whole new engine setup I'd like to get what I can out of it without breaking the bank. I know I'll have to get a new primary spring with the new pipe, but that's all fine and good as long as I get what I'm looking to get out of it.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:41 PM
Trailblazer

I'd get the HPD trail pipe you can use your stock can or get forest approved can hpd has one. Also you should change stock piston for a wiseco. If you have cylinder off might as well have it ported never ends.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:04 PM
Pro Rider

When I redid my top end I went with a weisco piston. I opted for bolt-ons instead of the porting.... Is the HPD something you've run? And which HPD pipe? I believe they make a few different ones.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:13 PM
Trailblazer

Right now I have HPD race pipe that works really well. I've run the aaen trail pipe before this and I like the hpd hands down.But they don't make it anymore but they do make there trail pipe. Heard nothing but good things about hpd's trail pipe and hpd and rcr have excellent customer service.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:55 PM
Pro Rider

I love the after-the-sale help from rcr... Rick's helped a ton for sure. What kind of riding do you do? I know you said you have the race pipe but from what I gather that's more of a top-end pipe. While I have no problem with pinning my throttle, I don't want to have to do that all the time to get the most out of my new pipe. But as far as hpd goes, what's the difference between their trail and trail mod pipes? I'd love to go stage 3 or 4 but don't really see the need with the type of riding I do and the folks I ride with mostly.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:10 PM
Trailblazer

I think hpd only makes one pipe now. I was worried about bottom end but the race pipe hits hard on the low end more so than the top end aaen pipe before. I'd say aggressive trail riding but I don't mind taking it easy once in awhile.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider

Hpd has only one picture and part# for it but it says trail or trail mod pipe. I don't know what the difference is or if there even is one, but their dyno pic says there is but not what is involved. If you say there is a considerable difference between aaen's pipe and HPD's then I'll probably go that way even though it's a not the same one you have. I was leaning more towards them anyway, since Rick suggested HPD to me when I was ordering my parts from him a while back. I have heard the DG pipes are horrible on almost everything they make them for, but I am somewhat curious about the FMF Gnarly. I'd love to hear what someone has to say that has either had one or known someone who did. Considering they're all in the same price range I'd like to get feedback like Bing43 has given me on all the available pipes for one of these bikes.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:57 PM
Pro Rider

Well I'll be.... I guess either everyone has a HPD pipe any can't compound on what Bing said, OR everyone else has stock pipes... I'd sure like to hear about any pipe's for a 400 2-smoke that anyone has....

Quick Reply: 400 sport/scrambler/trailblazer pipe/silencer