Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Think I fried the ECM on my 2004 sportsman

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 05:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Think I fried the ECM on my 2004 sportsman

So I bought a new battery today and the positive and negative were backwards compared to my old one. Made some noise and smelled burned wires. From what I read I probably screwed up my ECM. I am not under recall I already checked. It's a 2004.5 model. Does anyone have a diagram of what I need to look for? I can't believe I did this, the snow is coming and my atv is how I plow my driveway so I'm looking to fix this ASAP!

Old 12-08-2012, 06:17 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

If you smelled burnt wires easiest way is to pop the front panel and check. Ecm would probably take the brunt of the damage on reversed battery wires. Plus you can usually see melted wires. OPT

Old 12-08-2012, 09:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have some wires that appear to have some melting on them. Is this anything I can buy a replacement part and put it in and have it up and running again or do i need to take it in? I am not sure exactly what the ECM looks like do you have a photo of one? i took some pics of it but I dont know how to attach photos.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:34 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You either have a black finned Chinese module or a newer silver Sure Power module. See if it looks like item #10 this is the ecm.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse OPT

Old 12-09-2012, 09:18 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

this happen once a while on here(hooking up the battery backwards) and for the most part the ecm does get fried, but there has been a couple times they got lucky and didn't. if you left it hooked up long enough to melt wires, i'm not getting a fuzzy feeling of you excaping a shorted out ecm, but i hope i'm wrong for your sake.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have no power and cant pull start it. It smells like its burnt up too. there is another little black box with some wires connected to in kind of in front of the ecm, and it is zip tied to a larger set of wires covered in that black plastic. that smells burnt up too. what is that part? I have heard the solenoid can go bad as well? Would you guys reccomend I buy the ecm and try that first?

Old 12-10-2012, 12:08 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

This module you're talking about is probably the cdi. It could be the module that might be damaged. This is a tough one when you hook the battery up backwards as it can get the cdi,ecm or both. Look here under "magneto" on your model and see if this is the module you're talking about. http://parts.polarisind.com/Browse/Browse.asp. Item #16 is the cdi. OPT

Old 12-11-2012, 01:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Old 12-11-2012, 01:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

The photo above shows the melted wires. You can see they go to a ground on one end but appear to go into the conduit (black plastic wrap) on the other end. any idea on what this goes to. The next photo i am going to post shows that little black box zip tied on top of that conduit it smells fried. It has those 2 blue wires coming off the top of it. Any help is appreciated i dont really know where to start and I dont want to get ripped off at the dealer. trying to have an idea of what went wrong.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Quick Reply: Think I fried the ECM on my 2004 sportsman