Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2003 Sportsman 700 Issues--post ignition kit upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 11:09 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Sportsman 700 Issues--post ignition kit upgrade

So I followed OPT's advice when my 700 quit me recently and installed the upgraded ignition kit. This machine has never run so well! It starts instantly, even in sub-freezing weather and seems to have more power than ever. All good things.

Here is the problem: after I ran it for a bit, the instrument cluster displayed an error code: "StAtr". I can't find much info on this. The FSM says the code "is displayed when the gauge senses ground speed but no engine rpm for at least ten seconds. May indicate a failing stator or a wiring problem."

I sincerely hope the brand new stator is not failing, and I kind of doubt it since the thing is running so well. I'm guessing I hooked up a wire incorrectly, but I went back through and it looks correct. Any ideas? Thanks!

Old 12-10-2012, 12:21 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Recheck your grounds especially where they group together under the front panel and also make sure the battery terminals are tight and is charging at least 14-14.5 volts back to the battery while idling. Plus you can unhook the battery for 30 seconds and see if the message disappears. Sounds like a ground wiring problem, stator ground wire issue,etc. OPT

Old 12-10-2012, 12:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

I did notice the wiring for the new stator was a little different than the old one. The new stator harness had a brown (I assumed ground) wire which I bolted under the wire hold-down clip since I didn't see anywhere else it could go. Was that correct? The ignition kit instructions do not mention that wire and it seemed the only logical place for it to go.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:33 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

No wire is unused or left dangling in this kit. If the stator wire hold down plate isn't a good enough ground you can try the stator plate itself. Should solve the problem. OPT

Old 12-18-2012, 05:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

i was wondering what are the symptoms of my coil getting bad its still the old one they have had trouble with and my bike is crazy hard to start in the cold but runs perfect when she is warmed up

Old 12-18-2012, 06:04 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by newfie79
i was wondering what are the symptoms of my coil getting bad its still the old one they have had trouble with and my bike is crazy hard to start in the cold but runs perfect when she is warmed up
If you have a 600 or 700 with the Ducati ignition,then you've just described one of the symptoms with it. Hard starts,back firing,erratic idle,some would die and have to be restarted. Some of the owners had em just die on em while riding,others killed the machines only to have them never crank back up again. OPT

Old 12-18-2012, 08:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

yeah thats the one is on the front i have it taken off but why is it fine once i get her going and warmed up because she well idle pretty good and i checked with the plugs out and there is sparke all the time when rolling her over but you seem to know what you are talking about and also if i could find another coil like that it should be fine for now but i guess i well have to get the new system for her then but right now is not a real good time

Old 12-18-2012, 08:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

My 700 acted exactly like that for a couple weeks before it quit me for good. Fortunately it was on the trailer when it refused to start up. I installed the upgrade kit and from that moment it has started instantly without choke, even in 15 degree weather. It amazed me because it has always been a cold blooded turd. It doesn't bog down when it's cold or anything now. Also, it's never a good time to spend that much on a repair, but it reminded me that I have a valuable ATV too.

Note: I checked the ground on the front of the machine and it was loose. Prob solved. Thanks, OPT!

Long story short, that was a very hard $450 to part with, but it worked far better than I expected.

Also, autozone's harmonic balancer puller fits perfectly on the flywheel and you can rent it for free.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for the reply and you and old polaris tech have got the same opinion so i guess i am going to have to get the new one but it sucks seems i only bought the bike a couple months ago and havent put 30 miles on it yet and it only had 1600 on it when i bought her but o well i just hope its the problem. want it working properly

Old 12-18-2012, 11:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

You'll be very disappointed when the thing leaves you sitting five miles from the truck in the snow too if you don't fix the real issue. Sucks, but there is no way around it based on my research.

Powersportsplus.com was the cheapest i found. You can dig around and google a coupon code for them and they ship very quickly. I'm up in the NW and I had my stuff in four days. Hard to beat that. Put the puller on the flywheel, get it tight and take a bfh to it. A sharp tap will knock it loose. Don't worry, the old flywheel is junk anyway. The only hard part to the job is running the new wires. The instructions are great. Not a very difficult job; six beers at most. Just think, you could have bought a Honda and you'd be watching football right now!! :-) And you'd be late getting where you're going and your beer would be shook up and your teeth rattled out... Everything is a tradeoff.

Quick Reply: 2003 Sportsman 700 Issues--post ignition kit upgrade