Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

1994 polaris 400 6x6

Old 01-08-2013, 11:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 polaris 400 6x6

how does the 6x6 system work?i was putting the front chain on and noticed the wheels spin free.i took the hub off one side and noticed very little oil.wheels spin without shaft moving.also the wires to the 6x6 button have been cut.(?)should I put the chain on and go from there or does it sound like some other problem,i don't know how it should work.thanks for any help

Old 01-09-2013, 12:21 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

The front hubs take Polaris Demand Drive hub fluid only!! This system is electro-mechanical.
The front wheels "free wheel" with the front drive shaft when not in awd mode and not under a load. In awd mode,current is sent to the strut coil which pulls the armature plate from the hilliard assy to the coil "arming " the front wheel drive system. The front wheels only kick in when the rear tires slip about 1/8 of a turn. The rear wheel spinning also causes the front drive shaft to turn faster than the front tire. This mechanical motion causes the hilliard (roll cage and roller bearings) to "ramp up" on the inner cam of the hilliard which locks the front hubs. Front and rear tires will pull until the rear tires regain traction,then the front kicks out and free wheels again. Can get expensive if this system is damaged. This is the working parts of the awd.
Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse
Plus this is the front strut and coil. http://www.cyclepartswarehouse.com/f...1994&fveh=5390
If this system is damaged(coil,strut inner pole,hilliard assembly,etc) you can remove the front chain and let it free wheel,BUT it's not a guarantee that one side or the other front wheels wont accidentally lock in if there is mechanical damage to the hub parts.Have had people do this before on the older chain driven 4x4 and 6x6 machines and just kept oil in the hubs to keep it lubricated and have done ok,but some have still had problems with one side or the other hubs locking up. OPT