Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Auto Tranny Comments & questions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-1999, 01:08 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To all:
Well my machine is now repaired but still at the shop because I owe them $663. I completely destroyed my clutch after 1000 miles. They said that all the buttons had sheared off and that I was running metal on metal. Anyway I had to buy a whole new clutch from Polaris and then opted for the Hotseat performance clutch kit. Parts alone were $500.
My question is this: Has anyone ever heard of an auto clutch self destructing like this? I mean even on snowmobiles, which have way more torque? I feel that somehow I got a bum clutch but there isn't anyway to prove it. There will be no gain from this, but at least I may be able to defend my Polaris even though I spent alot in repairs. This is driving me crazy. Yes I ride hard but come on, 1000 miles. I asked the dealer for suggestions and he said to check it about every 300 miles. What? On a good week I could do that. I don't know. Just want to hear from all the other Polaris owners out there. Have any of you guys with the Sport/Scrambler type machines experienced ANY clutch problems (besides a slipping belt)???? The dealer said he has never seen anything like it ATV or snowmobile. Talk to me guys. Only thing I know right now is that if this happens again in another 1000 miles I'll have a fourwheeler for sale. Tsk, Tsk, Polaris lovers shouldn't say such things.

------------------
Scott Colson 98 Scrambler 500 91 Yamaha Moto 4 250

Old 08-22-1999, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scott, go to 99 sportsman in the forum headings and read of my clutch problems.Hell,I burned out 2 sets of clutches in 850 miles on my Sportsman so I know how you feel. BILL

Old 08-22-1999, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider

Scott,
My 97 Scrambler 500 probably gets 300 miles put on it trying to get 100 feet thru one mudhole...lololololol....
Seriously, I've rode mine HARD... LET ME EMPHASIZE....HARD...for a year and a half now, and other than making a clutch spring change and two belt changes I havent had a problem.. Although I still as of YET haven't been able to get my belt wet. I think that has something to do with it, moisture/water.
Maybe I need to take mine apart and look at it.
Good Luck...

Old 08-23-1999, 10:25 AM
Pro Rider

Unfortunatley the plastic buttons that are in the secondary clutch are prety cheap. I wore two of mine out in about 6 mos. Luckily for me I checked when I did, or I might have been in for a catastrophy. I changed to an Aaen roller, which eliminates the buttons, at that time.

With so many parts to a PVT routine maintenance is a must. With about $125 in tools one can easily perform their own clutch work.

------------------
Jerry Goodman '99 400L, '98 TBlazer

Old 08-25-1999, 03:05 PM
Pro Rider

I've destroyed a few sets of buttons on the stock clutch. On sleds they used to go real easy. That's why the roller clutches are used on the new high performance sleds. I've not heard of tearing up the entire clutch though, unless something really broke. Usually they will cause the quad not to move or move very slowly, depending on how many buttons are gone. At which point you park it and fix. I've seen the shafts break away from the housing, on sleds. I think it's a real good idea to check the alignment once in a while. A bad or loose engine mount can cause all sorts of misalignment problems which cause other problems, etc.

I've never had a slipping belt although I have destroyed brand new belts in 1,000 yds with a misaligned clutch.

The stock clutches really leave a lot to be desired. Once the buttons go, you can continue to replace, but it may be time to look at the helix, springs, tension or even a roller setup. There are more reliable aftermarket parts out there. I suspect though that something is out of adjustment, possibly a spring broke or is weak also???

www.godigital-design.com/schultzmotorsports

Old 08-30-1999, 02:56 PM
Pro Rider

Scott
Ditch the buttons and go to rollers,they last a lot longer.Also If you ride as hard as I think you do,Get a different spring that will engage faster and hook up longer,Taking some stress off the clutch, but adding stress to the belt.So that they where out at about the same rate.ie spread the stress around.Different springs engage at different rates.

I would sugest a better bottom end spring to get you out of the hole faster,And to allow the clutch to couple before the engine reaches it's powerban and trys to rip the clutch apart.
The down side would be a little loss of top end.
Alignment is also cridical(if its out you will smell it).

Pvt,s have alot of moving parts,any dirt that gets in can cause havic and excessive wear.(ie try to keep it clean in their)And inspect regularly.Good luck.

Take note of mudmachine he changed a spring and it's holding up.

[This message has been edited by trx430ex (edited 08-30-1999).]