Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

96 polaris explorer 300 not getting fuel into the cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 10:24 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are talking about the seal under the cylinder then yes I did replace it.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:28 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

The crank seals especially the one behind the front clutch,plus if you haven't checked out the needle and seat,could be the problem on excess gas. Hold the throttle wide open while cranking and see if it helps clear the fuel out and starts.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:33 AM
Trailblazer

You might have just figured my problem out. The plastic housing around the clutch is messed up. When I bought it the guy had the plastic off and the clutch was exposed. He had a can of starting fluid out and I heard it run. since then I have not been able to recreate the issue.

So, I am guessing the reason he had the clutch cover off was because he needed it off to get it started.

Can you explain what he might have been doing to get this to run with the clutch cover off?

Old 03-07-2013, 11:27 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Jcrawford
You might have just figured my problem out. The plastic housing around the clutch is messed up. When I bought it the guy had the plastic off and the clutch was exposed. He had a can of starting fluid out and I heard it run. since then I have not been able to recreate the issue.

So, I am guessing the reason he had the clutch cover off was because he needed it off to get it started.

Can you explain what he might have been doing to get this to run with the clutch cover off?
Probably spraying starter fluid in the carb since it's lighter than gas and will crank a low compression engine at times!! Seals are the cheapest items,but the most overlooked also.Replace the seal and if doesn't work,then it's gotta be either a carb problem or the cylinder and piston aren't right if the compression is still 110-120 psi.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:29 AM
Trailblazer

Can you point me in the right direction for this seal?
Is it this part number 5410749?

Old 03-07-2013, 11:34 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Seal #28 is usually the main one to either seep or pop out,plus on #13 you have to pull the flywheel and stator. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 03-07-2013, 11:57 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks much, I just ordered the seals. I will tear it apart tonight to see how difficult they are going to be to replace. Thanks again for all your help. I hope my next post is success!!!

Old 03-07-2013, 01:09 PM
Trailblazer

I hate to be obtuse but how do these seals cause issues with compressions / running? I apologize but I have been looking at the diagrams trying to figure it out. Not that it matters, just curious.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:57 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Default 2 stroke engine

Has to have good crank seals to be able to draw in the fuel mixture and compress this mixture at the bottom of the crank case,then shoot the mixture up the transfer ports to the top of the piston for ignition. In other words the engine has to have good top end and bottom end compression.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:02 PM
Trailblazer

That was perfect.. Now I see what you are saying. Do you think the guy was spraying starting fluid into the seal area so that it could draw it in easier?

Side note, I took of the stator plate and the seal looks fine. I inspected the clutch side and I can see oil has been leaking out if it... Do I need to clean out the bottom end or just drain it before putting the new seal in?

Quick Reply: 96 polaris explorer 300 not getting fuel into the cylinder