Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Questions before possible purchase

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 04:44 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions before possible purchase

First off all, this post is not meant to ruffle any feathers, I just have some questions before I purchase a new atv. I have never owned a Polaris before, just Yamaha and Kawasaki big boars utility atvs. They have run flawless and never had any issues. With that said, I really like the new sportsman 850xps but don't know anything about Polaris other than what I hear on forums like this. I will be mainly using the atv for snow plowing and trail riding but I do ride aggressively. I hear of issues with the reliability on Polaris atvs and would like to hear from the owners. Issues such as blowing oil out near the headlight, belt issues, etc. my friend had a 2004 sportsman 600 that he bought brand new and the motor blew with not many hours on it. He's having a hard time finding anybody to work on it other than a dealer. I've also heard that everything just wears out faster on a Polaris such as a arm bushings, etc. any input would be appreciated because I really do like the look of the 850xp but am also considering a newer brute force 750. Thank you in advanced.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:40 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i would do a search for 850 xp in the search function and there should be alot of differnt post to read through about all issues. not sure about the newer BF750's but my friend had a couple differnt years and they had small issues as well. good luck with which ever one you decide on.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:29 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

Got a 550XP with 500 hrs trouble free all types of riding including Tracks.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:15 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

every atv brand has issues- none more than any other, especially in the last 6 years.

polaris atv's are quality built, and there's no doubt in my mind that you wouldn't fall in love with a new XP 850- they are awesome machines with lots of cool updated features.

6 people will tell you they are junk, and 6 people will tell you they are "god-like"
you'll have to just buy one and see for yourself.

if you're that worried about it, just pick up the extended warranty- for peace of mind if nothing else.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:22 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Works the same way with wives! You may get a good one on the first try and decide to keep her! Don't know about an extended warranty though,haven't figured that one out yet after almost 42 years of marriage OPT

Old 01-28-2013, 05:30 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Works the same way with wives! You may get a good one on the first try and decide to keep her! Don't know about an extended warranty though,haven't figured that one out yet after almost 42 years of marriage OPT

I learned that the hard way also

my current wife only came with a 2 yr warranty (been married for 6 years now) I'm wishing I bought the extended warranty, things are starting to not work like they used to and parts are wearing out-
So, I wrote a letter to the manufacturer complaining of a wiring issue, but they said there was never any guarantee the wiring wouldn't malfunction and I'm stuck with her errrrrrrr, I mean it.

ehhh, you know how it is when you get a new toy.... you ride'em hard for the first year or so

42 years, opt?
you must change the oil regularly and keep the lint outta the dust screen

Old 01-28-2013, 08:23 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Works the same way with wives! You may get a good one on the first try and decide to keep her! don't know about an extended warranty though,haven't figured that one out yet after almost 42 years of marriage Opt
wow

Old 01-29-2013, 02:36 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

I'm at 48 yrs - same woman - I've been too lazy to look for a newer model. The test drive might kill me.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:35 PM
Pro Rider

BG...You crack me up...lol..

John

Old 01-31-2013, 02:55 PM
Trailblazer

Does anyone else have any input on the atv issue, not the spouse issues?

Quick Reply: Questions before possible purchase