Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

'03 Sportsman 500 - No Fuel Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 12:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '03 Sportsman 500 - No Fuel Problem

Hey folks,
I'm hoping ya'll can help me through this fuel issue I'm having with my atv.

Motor runs for a few seconds on starting fluid.

Pulled the fuel line on left side (side with fuel selector) and cranked over the engine, and only got a very slight dribble, both on "ON" and "RES" settings.

This makes me think either fuel pump, or a blocked filter I can't see.
The pump looks mechanical right? Is it hard to take off?

Any tips to help me through this?

I just need this up and running as soon as possible, I'd really appreciate any help

Old 02-06-2013, 12:52 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Jut pull the line coming from the fuel pump to the carb.Crank the engine over,should have a pulse of fuel. If you don't have, pull the filter off and then try it. If still hardly any fuel, the problem can be in the fuel selector itself(they can stop up from trash) or the fuel pump may have trash in it. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse
OPT

Old 02-06-2013, 01:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

I noticed there were two lines coming from the fuel pump, one appears to go through the selector, a filter, then the carb. The other appears to go directly from the fuel pump to the carb, on the right side. What is this second line? I will go out and pull it and then crank the engine, to see if I get a different result.

Thanks

Old 02-06-2013, 01:51 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Two lines come from the fuel tank(on and reserve) to each side of the fuel selector. The center outlet line of the fuel selector goes to the input nipple of the fuel pump.The output line and filter go to the carb fuel inlet. The "P"marked inlet on the pump is the vacuum line that goes to the other side of the carb. All this is needed because the carb is not much lower than the fuel tank itself. OPT

Old 02-06-2013, 02:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks OPT.
I'm goin back out to try to access the fuel pump and the selector better. Maybe I can just connect the tank directly to the pump and see if I get a pulse of fuel.

If it don't, then it sounds like I may have to remove and disassemble the fuel pump to clean it. Does that sound about right?

Old 02-06-2013, 02:13 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

I never tried it,BUT a full tank of fuel should have enough force to go from the center outlet of the fuel selector to the carb (bypassing the fuel pump completely). Probably the main reason for the pump is after a certain level,the fuel flow would be sporadic versus a constant vacuum pressure from the fuel pump. Give it a try and post how it works OPT

Old 02-06-2013, 02:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey I'll give that a shot here. Gonna grab some more gas and make sure it's near full.

Anyway I've been tryin to get to the very short hose between the selector and pump. It's a pain. Would it help to remove one of the two? I've been tryin to work around the front fender but maybe that'll have to come off as well.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:43 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Just remove the center line from the fuel selector and see if fuel flows in the On and reserve position. This can eliminate any selector problem or tank filter problem. If fuel flow is weak you can use an air blower to pressurize the tank a little if you have an air compressor and a couple shop rags. OPT

Old 02-06-2013, 03:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok so I removed the line from the tank, and connected it directly to the fuel pump. I disconnected the fuel pump outlet hose and cranked over the engine. I noticed it was spurting out, but very weak.

So I connected the line from the tank directly to the carb, and filled up the tank for the most amount of pressure. I could get it to idle this way, but any amount of throttle starves it.

So I'm nailing it down to the fuel pump I think.

I'd really appreciate any resources for removing/cleaning the fuel pump.

We're supposed to get 8-10" of snow tomorrow, so I really need to get this running

Old 02-06-2013, 04:15 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Fuel pump is a simple pull off and take apart,BUT it's best if you have at least the new rubber gaskets. But people have cleaned em before and put em back together. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse OPT

Quick Reply: '03 Sportsman 500 - No Fuel Problem