Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

off/run/off switch intermittent

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 12:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default off/run/off switch intermittent

Hey guys, went to ride this morning and found the only way my 05 sportsman 400 would stay running is if I pushed in on the off/run switch. I havent an issues with this in the past, it just popped up this morning. I am guessing I have a bad contact somewhere in the switch, just wondering if anyone has had any issues like this, and if this switch is easy to pull apart, or if I should just replace. Thanks in advance

Old 02-10-2013, 04:40 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

It's about a $70 switch at Cycle Parts Warehouse so it's either try to fix this one or buy a new one or take a chance on a used one from Ebay,etc. I'd try first just to pull the two connectors and clean the contacts inside the switch and on the harness connectors with either electrical spray or just plain rubbing alcohol and q-tips.Then use electrical grease in the connectors. If that doesn't help then you can pull the little plastic plug at the rear of the switch and loosen the small allen screw that snugs the switch to the bars. If you have an air blower you can just pop of the left grip and slide the switch off so you can work on it on a bench. You can pop it apart,but be careful especially on the slide switch and the copper/brass contacts. Possibly you may just have a contact that can be pried out a little to make a better connection or a soldered wire connection that's vibrated loose,barely making contact.