Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Need advise 4x4 output shaft

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 01:49 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need advise 4x4 output shaft

Hi to everyone, I have a 2000/ 500 scrambler 4x4 I just recently got this thing running motor sounds very good but took it for a ride and noticed the front 4x4 output shaft not turning at all. The trans went into forward and reverse gear good no noise what so ever. Is there anything i should check before i pull the transmission out and have a look inside. I can turn the drive shaft by hand and it is not locked up. any advise would be helpful.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:07 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

The prop shaft splines from the transmission(gear case) are probably stripped at the rear. This was a common thing as a lot of people overlook or can't get to the rear grease fitting.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse
If this is the problem you have to remove the pin in the front prop shaft,drive the prop shaft back a little to clear the front diff and then drive it off the rear shaft of the transmission to replace it.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:16 PM
Trailblazer
Smile question prop shaft removal

Thanks for the advise, can this be remove with out losing up the transmission or will i have remove the unit it self.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:20 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Transmission doesn't have to be remove. An air hammer is highly advisable to keep from having busted knuckles! It makes short work of a tedious job with just a hammer and a big punch! If you install a new on,get a flex hose for your grease gun if you don't already have one! It's about the only way to reach this fitting and the ones on the u joints on the prop shaft.

Old 03-10-2013, 03:44 PM
Trailblazer
Thumbs up 4x4 output shaft

Thanks for the information I have both air hammer and flex grease fitting i will let you know how this turns out soon, would work on it today but it is raining hard out side and it is under tarp. My garage is to full too get it in there today. I just have not had an opportunity to work on an polaris atv i have always own Honda's atv. this is my first polaris .

Old 03-18-2013, 03:59 PM
Trailblazer
Angry Follow up information on 4x4 output shaft

Well I pulled the front output shaft and the splines were good not stripped out. The snorkel shaft just spun freely kinda like the inside chain was broken bad news I then knew the transmission was going to have to be taken out.
Removed the tyranny and put on the work beach after opening it I discovered that a clip had came off a drive gear in which it caused the small roller pin cage to fallout into the lower roller chain unit causing it to brake the chain and other damage.I can not believe the transmission even worked like this.
After hours of cleaning of the case and removal of all the contents i had to order a complete set of chains and gears along with new oil seals and put it all back together now i have a new transmission and it all works great.
I don't know why the hell Polaris don't get rid of the chains in the transmission and come up with a direct drive gear system ? The off road use is just too rough on this kind of chain system but then there would not be so many being sold on E-bay would there now. I have never had this type of problem with any of the Honda atv even much older then this one.
Keep doing it USA

Old 03-18-2013, 04:31 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

They still have the chains in the gear cases on the 2013 models,even on the Scrambler 850. Looks like it might be sometime(if ever) all models will be gear to gear. Part of that is the double row chain can normally take a lot of shock and stress,but under heavy use they do cause problems and stretch as they get a few years on em.