Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

PVT Drive Belt Tension?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-1999, 09:32 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 96 SP500. I began hearing a scrubbing sound coming from my PVT cover during some creek rock crawling, and whenenver I killed the machine...like the last few revolutions of the clutch was scrubbing the cover. Well, I've disassembled the PVT cover, and sure enough, it's been rubbing a little it seems. But not only on the clutch end, but a little on the drive clutch end, also.
I have about 1-1/2" slack in the belt..the manual says it should be 1-1/8". Is this enough to warrant taking it apart to add shims? I haven't noticed any lack of engagement in the clutch or anything, just wondering if I should be concerned. The belt width is fine, according to the book, and nothing appears out of the ordinary with the cover removed (ie. loose parts) and cranked and ran while up on blocks.
Is there some particular alignment the cover is supposed to be in? All the bolts were tight and in place, although the gasket didn't look to seat too well in one spot. Do I need to replace the gasket, or do I need to replace the whole cover? Does anyone know how much one would cost? Has anyone ever used RTV to seal around the cover?
Thanks for any help
Todd Irvin

Old 08-09-1999, 01:19 AM
Trailblazer

I had the same problem with my 99 SP500. The primary clutch would rub against the cover. I called the dealer to replace it and it took the part 4 weeks to arive at the dealership. It would've cost me around 60 bucks but the warranty covered it. The rubbing on the cover happens when you let somebody else get on your quad and they use the cover as a step. Causing it to dent inwards therefore allowing the clutch to rub and eventualy tear through it. Hope this helps.

Old 08-09-1999, 06:38 PM
Pro Rider

Todd,
i'd also check the engine mounts and gearbox mounts just to make sure neither are broken or loose.

Old 08-19-1999, 06:50 PM
Range Rover

You were right, Aniel. It had been used as a footrest at times.....by yours truly.....add to the "stupid things not to do" list. But, live and learn, and , anyhow I got a brand new cover but the thing doesn't even come with the sticker...whick is a rip-off seems to me...but I've already peeled all those *&^%$#@ safety stickers off and that's one less to worry about.

And mudmachine, thanks too...one of the mounting bolts was more loose than the others.

Thanks fellas
Todd Irvin

Old 08-19-1999, 10:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Lucky you. Mine is doing the same thing and my dealer told me it wouldn't be covered by my warranty. Did anyone else hear this at first, and if so how did you get the dealer to fix it?

David Bean
99 Scrambler
99 Warrior

[This message has been edited by David Bean (edited 08-19-1999).]