Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2000 Xplorer AWD problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 06:44 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Xplorer AWD problems

Let me start by apologizing for making another AWD thread. I have searched everywhere and either it isn’t there or I’m just not finding it.

I’m working on a 2000 Xplorer 250 that was basically a basket case. I’ve done almost everything to it that can be done. Now I’m trying to get the AWD to work.
I have traced power to the AWD switch on the handle bar. It is there. I then traced to one of two gray wires going to the front hubs. One 14 gauge (?) wire gets power, the other one doesn’t. These are tied into two gray 20 gauge (?) wires that go to the hubs. There are also 2 Bn/W wires that go to the hubs (I am assuming that those are ground wires). I have dis-assembled the handle bar switch and cleaned it.
This quad has no terminal blocks as described in the manual. I can only assume they have been removed by the previous owner.
It was suggested by a local Polaris mechanic to attach a 9 volt battery to the wires going directly to the hub, saying that that would kick in the Hilliard clutches. It did not. (I have the quad on a M/C stand and all 4 wheels are off the ground for testing).
Earlier I replaced the CV boots and repacked (is that the right term) the CV Joints. Neither of the armature plates were magnetized or bent.

Where do I go from here?
If power is getting to the switch that means the tranny switch is good, correct?
Should the 2 gray wires be tied together as if they were in a terminal block?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

bob

Old 04-02-2013, 07:05 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If you're positive the gear position switches aren't the problem and you're getting power to the hot wire at the awd switch,try grounding the brown/white coil wires to a good ground (brown wire) or the frame to see if you get power to the coils.Plus I think you can try this with the awd switch wire also.Splice into the ground wire to a known good ground. Could be just a ground problem. Basket cases aren't much fun.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:12 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks OPT.

I turn the switch to ON and with the bike in Neutral, there is no power to the handle bar switch. All of the connectors are cold. When I switch the bike into either forward high or reverse, one of the connectors is hot. (the bottom one) The other 3 are not.
There are 2 gray wires coming from the switch. Should they both be hot? Currently only 1 of them is hot.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:33 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If I'm not mistaken (I haven't done it) but I've heard that jumping the two gray(power wires to the hub coils) to the main power wire in the awd switch is the cure along with jumping the brown/white(coil ground) wires to a good ground if needed. Give it a try.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:36 PM
Trailblazer

I heard that too, but wasn’t sure/didn’t remember where. I’ll give it a shot and see what happens.

Thanks again.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:03 PM
Trailblazer

Problem fixed! Only 1 gray wire was hot and neither ground wire was actually grounded. So I tied the hot gray wire to the the G/W and tied the 2 hub B/W wires to a certain ground. AWD now works as expected in the garage on a M/C stand. Now I’m headed out to the dirt to see if it works there.
Thanks for the assistance. And if you see a problem with what I did, feel free to speak up.

I also wonder if my battery recharge problem could be because of my bad ground in the system.
Hmmmmmmm . . . . . .

Thanks again OPT!

Old 04-08-2013, 12:41 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If you have a bad regulator or a bad battery,either one can be the reason! The awd has to have a constant 12 volts at all times to operate propery!http://www.psep.biz/store/polaris_at..._regulator.htm

Old 04-08-2013, 10:22 PM
Trailblazer

The battery was new in December, the rectifier was just replaced.
When I got to the riding place the battery was dead and AWD no longer worked. Since those two units are new, where do I look now? Is there a series of electrical tests I can do to locate the bad ground (or whatever it is)?

bob

Old 04-09-2013, 03:09 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Make sure the regulator connections are good. Don't overlook a battery because it was new several months ago. Charge it up and have it load tested. I've had bad batteries straight out of the box. Check resistance on the stator yellows and yellow/red wires between each other. Should be around 0.3 ohms resistance(+ or - 20%) with no wire shorted to ground. If any wire grounds out,then you possibly have a stator problem.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:36 AM
Trailblazer

Dumb question: how do I test to see if the wire grounds out? Does that mean if there is no resistance on either wire?

bob

Quick Reply: 2000 Xplorer AWD problems