Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2001 Polaris scrambler won't idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 04:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Polaris scrambler won't idle

Any help is appreciated. I have a 2001 scrambler 500. It runs and starts good. But it will not idle and gas is leaking from the carb. I took it apart and cleaned the carb. Made it quit leaking so much but it still won't idle?? Any suggestions would be great.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:19 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If you just cleaned it,and didn't replace worn parts with a carb kit and check the float level,this could still be a carb problem. Here's a cheap kit plus another link on checking float level on the BST40 carb.It's on a KTM LC4 but insides are the same.1003-0083 - ATV Complete Carb Rebuild Kits Polaris 98-02 Scrambler 500 2x4/4x4 | ATV Parts | MFG Supply
The BST-40 Bible - ADVrider

Old 04-07-2013, 07:53 AM
Pro Rider
My home made pliers did get the job too.

Just like OPT advised, go with new, Quad is over 10 yrs old and most likely on original parts. Normally when an ATV won't idle, first thing to check is pilot jet circuit, also check throttle cable stretch/slack. As for the carb/Gas leaking, OPT has you looking in the right direction as far as float height. $25 for a carb rebuild kit is well worth your money, and IMO, a throttle cable wouldn't hurt either

Old 04-07-2013, 07:58 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

http://www.ehow.com/video_4468404_polaris-atv-thumb-throttle-maintenance.html

Old 04-07-2013, 10:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks, I didn't replace any parts in the carb because it was rebuilt right before I bought it about a month ago. I'm gonna go out and check the float height. Let you know how it goes thanks

Old 04-10-2013, 06:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Took the carb apart. The float was set right. The idle screw was loose. Tightened it back up and got it to idle again. But now when I ride it gas still leaks out of the cArb. But it doesn't leak unless its running???

Old 04-10-2013, 07:50 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

This was and is a common problem on this carb model.Some wouldn't normally leak while running ,but drips when engine was off,others would leak while running.I had plenty of em at the shop that would occasionally do this. You might try to set the float height just a tad higher than parallel to the carb body shown in the pictures and see if it helps on the drip. If not it could be that fuel is seeping past the o-ring on the float needle valve seat by passing the float needle,over filling the carb bowl.Fuel pump vacuum should stop once the engine is off,not allowing any more fuel into the carb. Plus if you're not really sure if the carb kit was replaced,here's a link. 1003-0083 - ATV Complete Carb Rebuild Kits Polaris 98-02 Scrambler 500 2x4/4x4 | ATV Parts | MFG Supply

Old 04-10-2013, 08:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Alright I'll try setting the float a touch higher. If that doesn't do it ill probably just leave it be. It still runs good. Thanks for the tip

Old 04-11-2013, 08:01 AM
Pro Rider
My home made pliers did get the job too.

Originally Posted by Bdbxox
Alright I'll try setting the float a touch higher. If that doesn't do it ill probably just leave it be. It still runs good. Thanks for the tip

Check the pin that holds the float on carb body, sometimes the Green residue is enough in the pin alignment holes as well as on the pin itself to gum up. Also, make sure the needle and seat are not egg shaped, the needle is Brass and easily dis-forms. Seen it many times on my Yamaha YZ490 riding days!!!

Old 04-11-2013, 08:16 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

This system isn't the "normal" type float system. The float assembly and needle valve assembly are held in place by pressure from the carb bowl.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Quick Reply: 2001 Polaris scrambler won't idle