Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris 90 starter, what does this part do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 11:24 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris 90 starter, what does this part do?

Ok, a little background on this 90cc. We picked this quad used for our 9yr daughter that outgrew her old POS Chinese knockoff. We found it on Craigslist for $1300, and paid $1100. We noticed that the starter sounded like it wasn’t engaging. Figured that it might have some stripped gears, or something. Took the clutch cover off and saw that the gears spinning as they should, however the variator was failing to spin. I noticed that there were two screw heads have sheared off laying at the bottom of the clutch case. After removing the variator assembly, I saw the part with the sheared screw heads sheared off of (Polaris exploded view) 0454642 Asm., Wheel Starter, Kick. After doing some research, it seems they did a revision of the part minus the screws. As you can see the Wheel Starter is in two parts now. Is that the “one way clutch?”, thus causing the starter gears just to spin w\o engaging the variator? I ordered the following after noticing some wear, wheel starter (failed), roller weights, kick pinion, clutch one way, and clutch gasket. BTW, do know what kind of grease\lube is should use for the starter and kick start gears?

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B73h...it?usp=sharing

Thanks,
John

Old 04-16-2013, 12:42 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If it's an 09 or later then yes,but it's called another name.Clean up the idle gear assembly up above this that runs off the electric starter as it's pretty dirty and check for worn teeth on this soft gear.Never really got into these before I retired.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 04-16-2013, 01:53 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
If it's an 09 or later then yes,but it's called another name.Clean up the idle gear assembly up above this that runs off the electric starter as it's pretty dirty and check for worn teeth on this soft gear.Never really got into these before I retired.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse
This is 07, Sportsman 90. OPT I read one of your replies about the kick start sticking because it gets all gummed up with belt dust. That was very helpful! I started out with a sticky kick start, and wanted to check for worn out gears. The photos were taken right when I removed the cover and parts. While waiting on parts, I was going to clean it up, looks kind of grungy! The belt looks to be in good shape. I really wish these atv’s had odometer\HR meter, it would help for proper maintenance. I will be adding some sort of speedometer\odometer later to help keep track.

If I may, can I ask you a few questions? Now the starter gear is suppose to spin freely from the crank shaft? Would it be ok to use brake cleaner in the whole cavity, or just remove all the parts and then clean them? What lube would you suggest for the idle gear assembly, and kick start gears?

Finding out the 07 is kind of unique. Like one year production run certain parts, like the chain guard.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:37 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Good old cheap cans of brake cleaner is what we used on just about everything. Unless it needed to go into the parts cleaner. Just spray it down and clean it up. As far as any lube WD40,PB Blaster,etc is fine on the idle gear shaft and k/s assembly.A lot of grease just attracts more dirt and belt dust.Just a fine film of lube is all that's needed.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:58 PM
Trailblazer

Good old cheap cans of brake cleaner is what we used on just about everything. Unless it needed to go into the parts cleaner. Just spray it down and clean it up. As far as any lube WD40,PB Blaster,etc is fine on the idle gear shaft and k/s assembly.A lot of grease just attracts more dirt and belt dust.Just a fine film of lube is all that's needed.
Thanks for the reply!
I love brake cleaner!!! I figured that WD40 would be good, or maybe a graphite chain lube. Is starter gear is suppose to spin freely from the crank shaft or does it also have a spline to hold it?

Old 04-16-2013, 03:21 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

The starter ring gear and idle gear should freewheel clockwise and lock counter clock wise when elec starting if I remember correctly. Use this link on the 2009 youth 4 stroke pdf service manual which has basically the same starter system,idle gear and clutches and see if it helps.Just scroll down to the electric start section. PartShark.com - Motorcycle Parts, ATV Parts, UTV Parts, PWC Parts, Powersports Apparel, Motorcycle Accessories for OEM and Aftermarket.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:36 PM
Trailblazer

The starter ring gear and idle gear should freewheel clockwise and lock counter clock wise when elec starting if I remember correctly. Use this link on the 2009 youth 4 stroke pdf service manual which has basically the same starter system,idle gear and clutches and see if it helps.Just scroll down to the electric start section. PartShark.com - Motorcycle Parts, ATV Parts, UTV Parts, PWC Parts, Powersports Apparel, Motorcycle Accessories for OEM and Aftermarket.
I don't see the link to the manual?

Old 04-16-2013, 03:50 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

2009 Youth 4 stroke. The starting system is basically the same as the two strokes.