Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

1996 polaris 300 not getting top speed

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 01:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 polaris 300 not getting top speed

I just bought this atv and trying to fix it up a lil bit. I clocked it at 40mph im sure its supost to go faster than that. its a 1996 Polaris 300 4x4 2 stroke automatic.. all and any help is greatly appreciated. thanks

Old 04-18-2013, 01:26 PM
Trailblazer

I would check the condition of the belt and also make sure it's the right size. If the belt is too short or has too much slack then it won't sit in the proper location on the clutches as they move in and out and let them shiftout like they are supposed to.

Next I would check the 3 teflon coated buttons in the secondary clutch. If they are worn down then they won't let the helix perform correctly.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

thank you. would you know how to check the teflon coated buttons?

Old 04-19-2013, 03:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

and about how fast do you think this bike should go?

Old 04-19-2013, 03:42 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Couldn't find a video on ramp button replacement,but this clutch is somewhat similar in taking apart. The ramp buttons are different in your machine,they're held in by a torque screws. You can tell real quick if the buttons are worn! They will be visibly worn down. To put it back together the spring has to go into the #2 position on the helix and #2 position on the clutch sheath.Helix is then aligned with the splines on the clutch shaft and partially inserted down on the shaft. While holding the bottom clutch sheath,turn the top sheath with the helix 1/3 rd turn Counter Clockwise! Hold both sheaths(or have help) knock the helix down and replace the washer and circlip. OR you can just unbolt the clutch,pull it off and take it to a dealer to inspect. http://wiki.bssd.org/index.php/Polar...ndary_Clutches Still about 45 mph or so is about as fast as I can remember what the 300 averaged.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

thank you for the help. its grealty appreciated

Old 04-20-2013, 01:31 PM
Trailblazer

I have some new, still in the package, secondary buttons in my garage from leftover from when I was testing with a factory clutch several years ago that I can take a picture of and post if you need to see what new ones should look like. When working on a factory secondary I've always found out that it's easier to have an extra set of hands when preloading the helix and spring, pushing the helix down on the spine and putting the snap ring back in place.

I've never seen a 300 at the track but the stock 400 explorers used to run in the 55-58 MPH range if I remember correctly. Top speed is going to be determined by the shiftout RPM of the primary spring, weight size in the primary clutch, tire size and gearing.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:47 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Still have a couple pair of these in the tool box for times when no one was around with an extra pair of hands to hold the clutch sheaths for me. Just preload the top sheath and helix,hold both with your left hand and just clamp down on both sheaths with these. Then you can concentrate on seating the helix and replacing the washer and circlip,then just release the tension on the clamps.Turns it into an easy one man job. When you're desperate for help and no one's around you have to improvise.Between all my helpers that came and went,I had to improvise a lot..Google Image Result for http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/1523700_lg.jpg

Old 04-20-2013, 08:49 PM
Trailblazer

I actually stopped using the factory style secondary clutches several years ago in favor of the Team Roller secondary clutches. For a bolt on quad like 90% of the people have the factory setup works well but when you start making series power you just can't beat a roller secondary. Here's a picture of my clutch workbench and the tool that I use to change my helix, spring and rollers. That's a modified Aaen roller secondary in the background that I do some testing with from time to time.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

also when I bought the atv the guy told me it needs a starter. but when I push the button it just makes a quick little noise. it doesn't sound like the starter is bad. I also cant find the starter. do you know where its located on the bike?

thank ya'll.

Quick Reply: 1996 polaris 300 not getting top speed