Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

05 Phoenix trans?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 06:50 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do have a 3/8" gun. I will just use an adapter 3/8 to 1/2 for the 1 1/2" socket on the rear clutch. Thanks.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:46 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got it back together and the belt was a PITA. The noise I have is still there so I'm thinking something in the rear at least thats what it sounds like. The clutch and belt had to be done anyway but I just don't know if I want to tackle the rear or not. OPT any thoughts on this. Looks like it might be a pain. I just might try it anyway.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:11 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If you have changed rear diff fluid and have tried something like BG high pressure gear additive(or something similar) and the noise is still there,it could be a bearing or ring and pinion noise. Here's a breakdown of the rear end.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 07-17-2013, 04:01 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OPT,
It been about two month but I found time to rip the rear apart and found lack of lube to be the cause for the noise in the rear. So after some new bearing and a pain in the a$$ to replace them it goes with no noise. But the thing has no power in forward in reverse it runs great and moves in forward it feels like it bogging down when you get it going it has all the power of a new machine. My buddy said it might be in the clutch but that where I started and replaced both as well as the belt. Any thoughts?

Old 07-17-2013, 04:24 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Don't have a manual on the Phoenix,but if you're sure the clutches and belt are ok,runs good in reverse,but limits in forward,then sounds like the limiter may be faulty. Might be wrong,but think it's built into the cdi as there is no separate limiter module on this model that can be disabled that I can remember. Here's about as cheap a manual as you can get if you don't already have one. Can help you track down the problem. 2005 Polaris Phoenix 200 Service Manual PDF Download

Old 07-17-2013, 07:01 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks OPT. I'm not sure its that. In neutral it revs up all the way it's just in F that it bogs and it didn't do that before I did both clutches and the belt. So what my buddy said sort of makes sense I think. Can a bad clutch spring do that because when you get it going it's fine it's just getting it going that's the problem if that makes sense. I have replaced several CDI'S due to the older ones melting and not charging I'm kinda lost after that. Thanks.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:35 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Rear clutch is more complicated than the front one on the Phoenix. If you didn't replace all of this,then it could be the problem. Especially item#1 Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 07-18-2013, 03:12 PM
Trailblazer

OPT I did replace both the front and rear clutch so it was # 1 in the link that you put up. When the rear wheels are off the ground it's no problem but when they are on the ground with nobody on the machine and giving it gas walking next to it that's when it bogs with no power. When it does get going its fine.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:33 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Well,then about the only thing I can think of since it's been two months sitting up,it's possible that it could be something simple as the carb needle and seat sticking. You said it runs good with no load and jacked up,but bogs under a load until it "catches up" so to speak,then runs fine.If you've ruled out clutches,belt,etc,then it could be simply too much fuel at once causing the bogging. I know you said it runs better in reverse,but if you've ruled out any electrical limiting in forward,I'd lean towards the carb. A simple carb cleaning,needle and seat replacement may be all it is causing the problem??

Old 09-08-2013, 07:10 PM
Trailblazer

OPT, Here we go again. I rebuilt the carb with everything needle/seat, jets, gaskets and it runs fine but I still have the bogging problem under a load. In neutral it revs fine or in gear with the wheels off the ground its fine. Its just in gear that it bogs and I just noticed that its only in forward and reverse is fine no bogging under a load in reverse. I did both clutches and a belt but I didn't replace the plastic rollers in the clutch could that be a problem? I also rechecked the spring washers on the primary clutch and they are installed the correct way. The bogging last until it gets up some speed but until then it moves like me SLOW. Any thoughts? I think I have done everything that I can think of. Thanks.

Quick Reply: 05 Phoenix trans?