Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

05 Phoenix trans?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 07:46 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 05 Phoenix trans?

I had a couple of gears replaced about 5 or 6 years ago due to the trans jumoing out of gear. Fast foward it has been great since then. Yesterday my daughter comes back from a short ride saying it's making noise. I put it in gear (F or R) and it's making all sorts of noise when you are taking off when its moving it's not making noise. The only thing I have heard about the trans. is what I had replaced years ago. Thoughts? Thanks.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:30 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Phoenix and the Sawtooth did have some quirks when changing gears. They would jump out of gear if you didn't hear a positive "clunk" in either forward or reverse. Seemed like the easiest way to shift was to "blip" the throttle a little while in neutral and as the rpms dropped,shift into gear.Helped on shifting,but hard to teach children to do this every time. Over time gears could be stripped as you've found out. If the noise you hear now is at an idle,but not noticed while moving, then you could possibly have wear in the secondary clutch drive plate assembly which is really just a "brake shoe" type of engagement for the rear clutch.I had to replace a couple of these. Item #1. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 04-29-2013, 07:06 PM
Range Rover

OPT,
Thanks again for the help I just need the time to jump in to this but the noise feels like it's coming from up front and not back by the secondary if that makes sense. The prob. I had several years ago was a bad gear and it was on back order for several months I had replaced the detent spring and ball at that time but it ended up being a bad gear. So time will tell if I can just find the time. Thanks again. Steve

Old 04-29-2013, 07:14 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Could be wear on the front clutch,but take the cover off to isolate the noise. Could be as simple as roller wear. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 04-29-2013, 07:33 PM
Range Rover

I will thank you. 5 kids take up time but I will get to it.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:57 PM
Range Rover

I had a few minutes to look at this. I pulled the clutch cover and got a little belt dust but not to bad. I ran it with the cover off and it sounded like the noise was now in the rear end so I pulled the fill plug and it looks like somebody took a cr@p in it. I changed that oil about a year ago and maybe 20-25 hours. The ring gear has what I would call to much back lash so I don't know if the noise is from that or the clutch it's tough to tell. I put 4 oz. of oil in the rear but no change I have it jacked up so the rear wheels are off the ground and it's not under a big load that way like it would be on the ground.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:44 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

A little gear lash is normal,but make sure you use a good GL5 80/90 or 75/90 rated rear diff oil,plus even an additive like one that BG makes could help if the noise if from the rear diff.It's available at most auto stores.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:16 PM
Range Rover

This is whats new. The belt is worn as you can squeeze it together in the middle and it touches. I pulled the front clutch and cleaned it up the rollers look ok I'm now waiting for my son to get home with an 1 1/2" socket to remove the rear clutch and we shall see what that looks like. I drained (not much) and refilled the rear so I'm at least looking at a belt and see what else.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:01 PM
Range Rover

Hey OPT,
Fed ex just delivered my new primary clutch. I want to install it tomorrow and I have been looking for the torque on both clutch nuts and can't find them would you have any idea of what they may be? I couldn't get a breakaway torque with a beam type torque wrench since both pulleys would just spin and I don't want to use the air gun method when I put them on. My only other thought would be to use the shaft thread size. Thanks again for all of your help.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:13 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by twister500
Hey OPT,
Fed ex just delivered my new primary clutch. I want to install it tomorrow and I have been looking for the torque on both clutch nuts and can't find them would you have any idea of what they may be? I couldn't get a breakaway torque with a beam type torque wrench since both pulleys would just spin and I don't want to use the air gun method when I put them on. My only other thought would be to use the shaft thread size. Thanks again for all of your help.
Air tools on this is actually the best way.Hard to do it any other way. Just don't "stand" on the air impact too long. Smaller 3/8' type impact is better if you have one.

Quick Reply: 05 Phoenix trans?