Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Anyone Own a Explorer 400?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-1999, 11:23 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am pricing out a new quad and am seriously
stuck between a Scrambler 400 or the Explorer 400. Now I know these are 2 entirely different purposed units but they both have many pros and cons. I want the racks like the explorer, the low range, the extra lighting. However the sport feel of the Scrambler has me craving it. It appears that the Explorer has larger sized tires and rims, therefore giving it more ground clearance. Is this true? I would think that there is way more places that that Explorer can go than the Scrambler. Any comments here?

I plan to use my new quad for many purposes.
Trail riding, weekend camping/fishing trips, taking our your kids out for rides ect.
Seems to me the Explorer fits the bill in all areas except speed, appearance and manouverability. I may not be able to keep up with my buddies but I can way more versatile.

Polaris makes way too many models!It is hard to choose what to buy. Ha ha.

Keith B 1991 Trail Boss 250, 1983 XR350R

Old 08-12-1999, 01:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Keith, From what you say I think that the Explorer would be the way to go. The Scrambler definately has a "Sportier" feel to it, but the Explorer is no slouch. While the Explorer is more of a utility, it has more of a sportier feeling than say a Honda Foreman. Just flip the switch to 2X4 and they are plenty of fun on fast trails. I would guess that top speed is in the mid 50's range?? I already had Foreman so I opted for the "99" Scrambler 500 and love it. Hope this helps.

Rob Villanueva
"99" Scrambler 500 "96" Foreman 400

Old 08-12-1999, 03:51 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Bud,
My one friends dad has an Explorer 400 and they really like it. They use it on the farm doing all kinds of stuff. What do your friends ride that you need to keep up with? If it is just a larger utility quad (Grizzly) the Explorer will be fine. I have seen some pipe & clutch kits for the Explorer, just a thought... I do agree the Explorer seems better suited to your needs. If the friends you ride with all have sport quads that are fast then if they leave you behind they are not really your friends !
Of course you can always be the guy that pulls them out of a mess...
c-ya,

------------------
Andrew Thomas

'99 Scrambler 400 (New & improved with RCR kit and more raisins than ever) & '99 Trailblazer for Baby Butt Cheeks...

Old 08-12-1999, 05:16 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for your input guys. I guess I won't feel like a puss out on the trail on an explorer after all. I will be riding with a couple of bikes, XR350, XR100, Honda 4X4 350 4 stroke quad and possibly a banshee. I know I won't be able to keep up with a banshee but on tight trails...good luck working that power band on the Yamaha.
Sounds like the explorer is the choice for me. Now I just gotta sell my 1993 Seadoo XP so I can get it. Anyone interested?
Keith

Oh, PS.
The XR350 and the XR100 are mine. But I can't keep my family off them when they come to visit. I quite enjoy having extra bikes around for friends and family to ride when they come to visit from out of town.

Old 08-12-1999, 05:52 PM
Trailblazer

The Explorer is right up your alley. I have owned both, and my buddy just got a 99'Explorer, and he keeps right up with me, unless I really push it. I really miss the low range and the higher clearance. The Explorer is more of a all-aroound machine, but I DID ice race mine for two years and kicked ***. For more response, add a clutch kit and pipe, and for even more snort, go to a bigger carb and eliminate the airbox. (just remember, you can't go as deep in water) Best of luck with the Explorer!

Pete Niska
99' Scrambler

Old 08-13-1999, 01:48 AM
Trailblazer

You will love the xplorer..I have a 99 400 and it runs great and I mow with it too...

very fast and I use low range all the time..you will use it on slow tight trails..where you need to move real slow...

here's a link to my atv page with pics of my xplorer...before and after an encounter with a tree...

http://www.bluemarble.net/~kb9nvh/PAGES/ATV/atv.html>

Old 08-16-1999, 02:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Keith, someone guessed the explorer top speed was in the mid fifties. Guess again! I have riden a '96 Express 400, '97 Explorer 400, and a '99 Explorer 400. All three would run 65MPH EASILY. In a 100yd drag race with my scrambler 500 HO, these quads are probably only 2 quad lengths behind me. If we keep running for another 200 yds, they will pass me due to their faster top speed.

I'm no pro rider, in fact I wouldn't have the cajones to actully go on track and race any quad. But the other night we were riding through the woods on a trail that was somewhat rocky. I was in fromt, and an explorer400 was behind me. I could not shake him. Granted I was being somewhat cautious to keep from bending my aluminum wheels, but even so, I was going as fast as I dared and he was right on my butt.

You wil love the exp400. You can do some fast, fun, 'sporty' riding with it and as long as you don't expect it to compete with true high performance machines you'll be happy.

I've also seen my friends exp400 pull two different trucks out of our swamp riding area, but that is another story......

Good luck with your decision.

Ed

Trending Topics

Old 08-16-1999, 08:49 PM
Range Rover

if you want a 400 exp. you better get it quickly because they will not be made next year.

Old 08-16-1999, 10:07 PM
Range Rover

Motorman,
What do you mean it won't be available next year. According to my dealer and the September issue of ATV Sport there will be a 2000 model. Do you know something about the Explorers demise? I ride with a guy who has a 96 Explorer. Flat out it is almost as quick as my Scrambler and it does quite well on tight trails too. It is in high speed turns where I can really lose him. The 25 inch utility tires on his Explorer are not intended for that type of riding. It steers quite a bit heavier than my Scrambler too. If I ever decide to get a utility Quad the 400 Explorer is the only one I would consider. If you purchased some aluminum wheels and Holeshot XCT's I'm betting it would run real close with a Scrambler and still have decent ground clearance.
Scott.

Old 08-16-1999, 11:15 PM
Trailblazer

This is for ed. If an explorer kept up with your 500 HO, then you must have something wrong with your 500. The 500 is faster stock than the 400 scrambler which has the same engine as the explorer 400. Plus the explorer weighs about 80lbs more than the 500 and 100 lbs more than the 400 scrambler. If the stock 500 will beat a stock 400 scrambler in a drag, then there is NO WAY an explorer 400 will keep up with a 500. Now if you modify them it is a different story. The scrambler 400 can be modified to blow the 500 away, but I still do not believe the explorer can keep up with either (especially the way you said they would pass you if you exteneded the drag). Also, the top speed of the explorer is NO WAY 65mph. The scramblers, and even the sport are lucky to go that fast stock. I do agree that the explorer is an excellent quad. It is more capable of fast trail rides than most utility machines. But any way you look at it, the explorer is NOT a sport machine. I think the reason the explorer is not one of the best selling utility quads is the fact that it is a 2 stroke. I know that for working on my farm I would rather have a four stroke. 2 strokes are better suited for the sport world.

Jeremy 1999 500 HO

Quick Reply: Anyone Own a Explorer 400?