Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

oil leak stopped itself? huh..

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 02:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil leak stopped itself? huh..

lol ok so i was out riding the other day and after coming back from a ride, me n some buddies were going to take off for another ride..as i backed up 1 friend noticed an oil spot under my bike(00 TB325)..so, i shut er down and checked the oil, nothing on the dipstick..so i take off the oil covered skid plate and tried to see where the leak was coming from, looks like it coming from mid to upper area of the motor(not the head, not that high)...i wipe everything down really good and fill the oil back up(didnt even take too much) started er up and got under to see where this leak is and i see nothing, everything is dry...i take er for a ride and still nothing, wait like an hour and there was a tiny tiny drop under the bike, i get under and still cant spot where the leak came from this time, wasnt much as my oil was still full

so, to make a long story even longer, i took the bike out yesterday and have been checking for the leak and nothing! did this oil leak seal itself? lol that'd be a 1st for me, ill be stripping er down anyhow to check valve clearance and to better see where this leak started..then stopped

if anyone has had this happen let me know cuz i dont get it lol

Old 04-29-2013, 04:50 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

The 325 and 330 were bad on leaking a small amount around the metal gaskets on the oil breather box on top of the cam cover and making a mess,but not really any major oil loss.I had quite a few do this.Don't know if this is the area where you're having problems...
Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 04-29-2013, 05:07 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
The 325 and 330 were bad on leaking a small amount around the metal gaskets on the oil breather box on top of the cam cover and making a mess,but not really any major oil loss.I had quite a few do this.Don't know if this is the area where you're having problems...
Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse
it didnt look like it was coming down the back of the cylinder but i couldnt see very well atm, i will def check that tho...it almost looked like when it did leak, it kinda sprayed..tranny looks like it got splashed kinda...maybe in the starter area..

Old 04-30-2013, 11:19 AM
Pro Rider

so i took some plastic off to get a better look at the engine...looked like it may have leaked out of the lower crank case breather outlet but when i took off the breather tube is was nice clean n dry in there like oil has never been thru the breather, only some oil on the outside...guess ill hook the gas back up to er and let it run for awhile again and see if i get any leaks while everything is off..ugh, im stumped so far tho

Name:  IMG_03351_zpsb770574e.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  108.0 KB

Name:  IMG_03341_zpsdac15de7.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  116.4 KB

Old 04-30-2013, 12:10 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Just clean everything up and keep a check on the breather box gaskets plus the crank vent hose leading to the air box plus the clamps. Could be a hole in the hose or just simply a small seep that's accumulated over time. Seems like this is what happened to me a lot on the 325.. http://www.cyclepartswarehouse.com/f...2000&fveh=5491