Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

black flecks in oil?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 08:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default black flecks in oil?

My '13 sportsman 500 has33 hrs on it, I had the break in oil service done at 20. I've come to realized they may have over filled it. So I drained some out into a clean white cup and noticed black flecks in it. I cleaned the cup thoroughly drained some again, more black flecks. Any thoughts?

Old 05-13-2013, 10:28 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Could be just some rubber residue from the hoses at assembly that could be the reason. Plus if the techs didn't drain the sump it's possible this is why it may be overfilled. If you're really concerned you can change it again,but this time after you drain the oil tank,either pull the sump drain plug on the side of the engine by the prop shaft OR another way is just after the tank has drained,leave the old filter on,crank the engine for 15 seconds and shut it off.The 8 ounces from the sump will drain into the oil tank and out into the drain pan. Then you can replace the filter and add 2 quarts of new oil.OR you can take it back to the dealer,but I believe it's probably just residue from the engine parts,hoses,etc during the break in process.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

I was kinda hoping it was break in residue. So your sayin to get that residual oil out, drain that tank leaving the filter on, start it for 15 seconds to get the rest out, and cut it. Id be afraid of the engine seizing up or somthin! Im a worry wart.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

so if i were to through a new oil and filter on this, what is an acceptable alternative to this 2w50 ps4 polaris stuff??

Old 05-14-2013, 06:32 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

0w40,5w40, 5w50 is suitable oil as long as it's synthetic. Doesn't have to be designated cycle or atv oil since the 500 doesn't have a wet type motorcycle clutch.Any good auto oil in this range is fine. Polaris started out originally with 0w40,then went to 2w50,and now has an "extreme"5w50 rated oil. Your preference on this. Same on the Polaris 3084963 oil filter. This is almost a "universal" type filter as many cycles,atvs,etc use this same size filter.Here's a comparison list on different filters. Polaris is #5 on the list. Motorcycle Oil Filter Cross Reference

Old 05-14-2013, 07:02 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by newbie polaris owner
I was kinda hoping it was break in residue. So your sayin to get that residual oil out, drain that tank leaving the filter on, start it for 15 seconds to get the rest out, and cut it. Id be afraid of the engine seizing up or somthin! Im a worry wart.
Won't hurt it for 15 seconds. I was the same as you on this when a Polaris engineer told me to try this. This way you don't have to haggle with the sump drain plug,plus the remainder of the oil is caught in the old filter.I've been draining 500s this way ever since.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:55 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Thats what I have been doing for years,I just drain the oil tank and run the motor for 15-20 seconds to get the extra oil out of the crank case. 7500 miles on my dads SP500 and 3700miles on mine so it does not hurt anything.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

now i had this thing at an offroad park last sunday and drove through a pond that was deeper then i thought...Water was almost up to the rear rack.. only for 20 seconds or so. Could that have gotten in there?? the oil is not milky looking at all. and the air box was dry. Just throwing this out there.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:16 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If the air box is dry,oil looks good,then I would say no.If in doubt the price of two quarts of oil and a filter might ease your mind,but if water was ingested you would see it on the filter and in the box.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for the ultra quick responces, its truely amazing! Ive been on jeep forums where you wait days for a decent responce haha. But, yeh im just gonna change the oil...

Quick Reply: black flecks in oil?