Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris or Arctic cat?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-1999, 12:16 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be buying a 4x4 ATV 300-400cc range soon. I am undecided between Polaris and Arctic cat. I am looking for any insight and reasons as to why one may be better than the other. The main uses will be camping/outdoor recreation and backwoods trail riding.

------------------

Old 08-13-1999, 01:11 AM
Range Rover

See my posting called "Anyone own a Explorer 400?" . You should look into this model, it will easily fit into your needs.
Keith

Old 08-13-1999, 07:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

Buy the Polaris. Every 4x4 model of Polaris' that I have ridden is awesome.Three things I personally don't like about Artic Cat are:
1)Suzuki motor - No thanks
2)Motor sits to far back in frame - Don't climb steep hills or try to work on it.
3)Heel - toe shifter - I suppose this just takes getting used to.

Old 08-13-1999, 10:37 AM
Range Rover

I recently faced the same dilemma. I was convinced that I wanted an Arctic Cat 300 4x4. I liked the different transmission ranges, part-time 4 wheel drive, independant rear suspension and the overall size. I was moving from a Blaster to 300 class 4x4 which suits the trails here in East Tennessee better than the low ground clearance Blaster.

I test rode the AC a couple of times and really liked it. I went with my Dad (I'm 35 by the way) to an outdoor show to show him the one I was going to get. They had the Arctic Cats and the Polarises next to each other. I decided to "sit test" a couple of the Polarises and found out I liked their seats better. I still didn't like the width of their machines down around the belt drive though.

After sitting on the machine I decided to check-out one of the new Magnum 325s. A local dealer had a 325 2x4 which I test rode. I felt that the suspension on the Polaris was much better at soaking up the big bumps than the AC. One thing I have noticed is that on off-camber bumps, my back-end jumps sideways a little more than I would like. Maybe if I slowed down? NEVER!!!

After comparing the two machines, I decided that they had just about the same features. The thing that tipped the scales for me is that while the AC did everything that the Magnum did, the AC wasn't quite as convienent. The 4x4 engagement was a loop that you pulled or pushed down by your right foot. You have to shift gears. Reverse wasn't as easy to operate. The tranny range selector was behind your left calf. The Magnum puts all of these functions at your finger tips.

I've had my Magnum for about 3 months and have enjoyed it very much. It has done everything that I've asked of it. The Arctic Cat 300 4x4 is a very nice ATV, but for me, the Polaris Magnum 325 4x4 had a few more things going for it.

Good luck on your decision,

------------------
Kevin Staton
Windrock ATV Club
2000 Polaris Magnum 325 4x4

Old 08-13-1999, 11:25 PM
Range Rover

Before you get a Polaris, talk to Bill Ciliberti. Ask him how much he loves his Sportsman. Ask him about the "few" times it has been broken and how much polaris backed him up.

------------------
Arctic Cat 500, Not your average Kitty, The New King Of the Jungle

Old 08-13-1999, 11:53 PM
Trailblazer

Chris, I recently went through the same type
of problem, I couldn't decide on the Polaris
Magnum or an Arctic Cat 500. I knew there
might be more maintenance with a Polaris, but
there is added performance to boot. I finally
went with the AC 500 primarily because the
dealer support in my area is better for the
AC, and I think I got a better deal on the
AC over the Polaris. Both Brands have good
and bad, but you need to look at your dealer
support as well as which one has the most
buttons! I love my AC 500, but I would have
liked the Magnum too! BTW, DON'T let the rocker shifter make the decision for you. I
got used to it after my first ride! If you
would rather have auto tranny, then the
decision is pretty much made! ;>

Old 08-14-1999, 06:39 PM
Trailblazer

Chris,i had to make the exact same choice also last week...
But from who i talked to and saw,the polaris just isnt tough enough.
Auto tranny screws up to easy in the mud,
4x4 comes on automaticly if the wheel spins,
(dont ride on 2 wheels)
and from who i talk too the polaris screws up just about from anything u can think of.

The reason why i got arctic cat is becuase;
The rocker shifter is much more convienent,
dual a-arm shocks in front and back,
i got a heck of a good deal on it,
everyone i talked too has had no probs with it unless the rolled it or something...
Theres a lot i could name but dont get me wrong,polaris is a good bike as long as u dont play submarine with it,its a lot of fun trail riding ( arctic cat is too)
But dont let anyone make your decision but keep in mind what they say.
If you want my opinion i would definintley go with Arctic cat though.

Good luck on your decision

Old 08-15-1999, 11:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Chris_P

I don't have any expierence with the Artic Cats so I can't give you any opinions on them, but I do own a 98 Polaris Xplorer 400 and can say I'm very pleased with the service it has given me. The two stroke 387cc engine will give you all the power you need for the type of riding and use that you would put it through and a big plus is that it's liquid cooled. This helps on those hot day's and if you use the machine in a work situtation.

Another plus is the on demand four wheel drive that Polaris has on their machine's. The four wheel drive when activated applies power to all four wheels at the same time which is a true four wheel drive as compared to other machines which have a limited slip differential and you really only have power to three wheels when one of the front's begin to spin.

If you prefer riding with an automatic transmission I would also suggest the Polaris. The automatics are great when climbing hills, you just don't have to worry about down shifting all you do is apply power and go.

You hear a lot of negative comments about Polaris ATV's but I don't think they are any worse then any other brand. No matter what brand you own,if you take care of it, it will take care of you.

------------------
Big_Al

Old 08-18-1999, 04:32 PM
Pro Rider

you should get a Yamaha Wolverine. It has power, speed and good for camping. And it is lighter than a 500 lb polaris or AC

Old 08-18-1999, 05:24 PM
Pro Rider

Take a good look at the magnum 325 it has all the same drivetrain and suspension as the magnum 500. they share all the same parts with the exception of the engine and the fact that the 325 has no radiator this should tell you something if it will stand up to a 500 cc engines power then certainly it will be virtually bulletproof with the 325 engine pushing it. Look through these forums you will see a lot of people bashing polaris some genuine problems others just exzagerated sour grapes. One thing you will notice is that there is not a single complaint against the magnum lineup ANYWHERE in this Forum the whole forum. The magnum line is tough the reliability issue has been put to rest by polaris with this lineup the 325,425 and 500 magnums All dealers and owners that I have talked to at trade shows say that once they leave the showroom they rarely comeback except to get the oil changed. Look in the magazines the march issue of ATV magazine and Dirt wheels called the magnums the sportiest sport utilities they had ever ridden. But don,t let me make your decision for you. You ride them both then decide. Don,t let these guys bashing the sportsman influence you you,re not shopping for a sportsman 500 anyway. I didn,t buy the sportsman myself and I have had Polaris machines since 1994. The magnums are a diffrent breed machine.

------------------
Kevin Gowdy AKA-Kagey1999 Polaris Magnum 500

Quick Reply: Polaris or Arctic cat?