Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

'06 Hawkeye Clutch PROBLEM!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 09:44 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '06 Hawkeye Clutch PROBLEM!!

Hey guys looking for some advice on a new issue with my wife's 2006 Hawkeye 300. Recently after some wet weather riding in the northeast she started notice some strange vibration almost like a resonating vibration that would go in an out at lower rpms while underway like 5-10 mph but I thought nothing of it and we continued our ride. She kept telling me it didn't sound right so I rode it and noticed the same thing but no loss of power and the engine ran strong and idled well. So I parked it and it sat for a day in the garage and I went to move it out of garage to load up. It started and ran just fine but when I went to rev it in neutral a little bit this horrible grinding noise could be heard from the clutch side of the quad. Sounded like gravel grinding in a bearing. Again it could be heard with the quad in gear in both forward and reverse but quite bad. It will not make the noise at idle, only under throttle in any gear position.

Since we had been riding in a lot of water and extremely wet conditions I immediately thought water had gotten into the aluminum clutch housing so I pulled the CVT drain plug and nothing came out.

Fortunately I was planning to take it to the dealer for it's 100 hour service so I just dropped it off, but they are booked a week out. The mechanic told me he wouldn't even have a bench for it for at least 5 days. I am looking for some advice to prepare myself for the bill I could potentially be looking at.

My fear is that something went wrong in the clutch, stuck roller or something and it was causing the clutch to spin out of round and chewed up the outer bearing on the crankshaft. Could it have damaged the motor as well. The mechanic gave me a grim look when he heard the sound.

Any advice would be great.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:38 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Could be as simple as dried dirt/residue in the clutches if water did get in making the noise?,roller wear, simple thing as needing a new belt? All anyone could do is speculate until they pull the cover and check it out.