Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2006 Predator 50 Carburetor

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 08:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Predator 50 Carburetor

My son bought a like new 2006 Polaris Predator 50 (nubs are still on the tires) for my grandchildren and dropped it off at my house.

The 50 will start with choke on but kill with choke off. At first I thought it might have been put away without Stabil. I drained all the gas and added fresh gas along with Seafoam. I jacked up the back wheels and let it run with choke on to hopefully clean suspected varnish from the carburetor. Nothing improved and it would not run longer than ten minutes without stopping.

I removed the carburetor, fuel flowed freely through the filter and out the fuel line. There was no dirt or varnish, jets, everything looked new. The screws on the sediment bowl were not very tight. If I loosen the drain on the sediment bowl fuel flows freely.

I compared the photo in the 2003 service manual which is referring to the Sunworld H68K carburetor and my float was not level to the gasket. I set the float level and reassembled. The 50 ran worse, it will kill on acceleration and only idle for less than a minute before stopping. I did set the air screw to 1/2 turn out and the idle screw out 1 1/2 turns. Adjusting the screws did not help.

I have now reset the float lower than level, beyond the setting I originally discovered. I will try again in the morning.

I am thinking it is starving for fuel. Is there something else I should consider? I have the grandchildren coming to the lake on Sunday and would like to have it running for them.

Any help will be appreciated!

Last edited by vanbey3; 06-02-2013 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Photo Problem
Old 06-02-2013, 09:44 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Can't see your pics. Running only with choke is a sign that either the main jet,pilot jet or even needle and set are not allowing enough fuel to pass. Normal setting on the air/fuel(pilot screw) as some call it is between 1 to 1 3/8 turns out from a lightly seated position.The idle screw is just set to preference. Plus there is a small orifice in the carb bowl that must be open too. Compressed air through all the jets and passage ways,remove the jets if you haven't already done so. If you still can't get it adjusted right, float needle must be clean and float level with the carb body also,replacement carbs are cheap on Ebay.Carburetor Polaris Predator 50 50 50cc Cable Choke Carb 2004 2006 | eBay

Old 06-02-2013, 09:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried to remove the links to photos and re insert new ones but the links are not visible when I click edit, just the text. I did download my photos to an ATV Photos album.

I thought all the jets were clean, blew carb cleaner and air through them. I will try again tomorrow.

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

Original Setting New Setting