Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2 electrical questions `02 sportsman 500

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 12:12 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 electrical questions `02 sportsman 500

I just took off the plastic stuff to paint and now have no odometer or idiot lights. High beam was out previous and bulb ohms out. Suspect problem at brown wire splice that I`ve traced in the wiring diagram. Where is that splice? The machine runs and low beams work. Brown wire doesn`t ohm out at plugs to speedo,idiot lights,hi-beam although it has intermittently given me a light on my power-probe. Again, I`mm seeking location of splice for the brown wires for hi-beam,speedo,idiot lights.

Next question. It doesn`t start while cranking but catches and runs after turning key back to run position after cranking. I think there`s been a post on this but can`t seem to find it.

If you can`t fix it with a hammer it`s an electrical problem. lol

Old 06-04-2013, 12:55 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

You can just bypass any splice area by just running a new ground wire to any good frame ground,then work from there.As far as the cranking you might want to check the pulser coil under the recoil cover for any dirt or trash on it or the flywheel,plus you can ohm out the white and white/red wires. Should show 97 ohms on the pulser.Plus here's what one guy did on his,don't know if it helps.http://forums.atvconnection.com/pola...ml#post3155476
If none of this helps,could be an ignition switch problem.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:56 PM
Trailblazer

The splice is about 8in. from the speedo plug. Found just what I was looking for (broken wire) which was aggravated by my pulling the stuff to clear removing the cab. Glad it happened now so I can repair it and clean up grounds at the coil. My problem was dwelling on the diagram. When I looked at the big picture the obvious was cleared up. Now I`d just like to know about the starting scenario. (2nd question)

Old 06-04-2013, 01:00 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
You can just bypass any splice area by just running a new ground wire to any good frame ground,then work from there.As far as the cranking you might want to check the pulser coil under the recoil cover for any dirt or trash on it or the flywheel,plus you can ohm out the white and white/red wires. Should show 97 ohms on the pulser.Plus here's what one guy did on his,don't know if it helps.http://forums.atvconnection.com/pola...ml#post3155476
If none of this helps,could be an ignition switch problem.
Thanks again OPT. Will look into the pulser coil next. I also wanted to ask about those star washers for grounds. Should I sand paint off to improve ground and eliminate the star washers?

Old 06-04-2013, 01:08 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Always have a good bare metal contact for grounds. Something as simple as a little patch of paint can cause grounding problems. Doesn't matter on what type washer.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:42 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Always have a good bare metal contact for grounds. Something as simple as a little patch of paint can cause grounding problems. Doesn't matter on what type washer.
I eliminated the star washers in favor of sanding coil mount point to bare metal, adding a dab of die electric grease and tightening ground wires. Feel better already. Working on this thing is challenging and it`s not afraid to give me a hard time. I have to change gears as I make a living working on trucks.