Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

1999 trailblazer no electrical power

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 02:02 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Glad you found the problem. Vibration can cause some strange things to happen on connectors when they wear. I'd use a lot of electrical grease,then re zip tie the connectors to keep any moisture out.

Old 07-14-2013, 03:35 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank You for all of your help OPT! One last question, I have been reading about what octane fuel to run in it, and im still a little unclear on what I should run, I know it all depends on compression ratio, its bored .20 over should I be using 89 or 92 octane in it? also im running 40:1 gas oil mix. does that sound good?

Old 07-14-2013, 03:41 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Regular gas,either 87 or 89 is fine. Anything over is overkill and really doesn't help. Just depends on where you are. "IF" you can truly find any without 10% ethanol,I jump at that. 40-1 is just about right on the mixture.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:41 PM
Trailblazer

ok, thanks again for the help. I have a good bit of experience with 4 strokes, but this is my first 2 stroke, so I'm learning as I go.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:45 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by hawkdude
ok, thanks again for the help. I have a good bit of experience with 4 strokes, but this is my first 2 stroke, so I'm learning as I go.
Just remember that link to the manual or here it is again. Even though it goes to 98 models,your 99 Trail Blazer didn't change that much except for the decals. I couldn't work with out em..Index of /ORV Manuals/Polaris/1996-1998 - All Models

Old 07-28-2013, 04:57 PM
Trailblazer

So I ran into a problem today. I went to go start the trailblazer up and the starter turned for a second or two, then stopped. Battery has a full charge, I read that its common for the starters to stick if they get dirty or corroded, but the starter spins and the atv starts right up if I jump the two terminals on the starter solenoid. I checked the connections at the solenoid and they are clean. When I hit the start button I just hear a single click. Is the starter solenoid bad? That's what im thinking it is.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:12 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Sounds like you already found the problem,but simply use a test light and hook the end to the battery negative post,touch the wire leading to the starter on the solenoid and hit the start button. It should light up. If it doesn't and just clicks that at least means the power wire from the ignition switch is good and the solenoid needs to be replaced. IF the test light shows power on the starter side of the solenoid you could either have a bad battery,starter connection,or corrosion on the starter wire itself. The starter may be sticking,worn brushes, flat spot on the armature plate or just plain dirty. Cheap enough if it's a starter to just get one here rather than tear one apart.DB Electrical - Polaris
If it's a solenoid problem, here's one of the cheapest online places.Plus solenoid has been updated. #18.
Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 07-28-2013, 05:18 PM
Trailblazer

I do not have power on the starter side when I hit the start button. I do have power to a little wire connected to the solenoid when I hit the start button, Im not really sure what that wire does, but I just thought id mention that.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:39 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by hawkdude
I do not have power on the starter side when I hit the start button. I do have power to a little wire connected to the solenoid when I hit the start button, Im not really sure what that wire does, but I just thought id mention that.
That's the power wire from the ignition switch to the solenoid(main power wire). Sounds like you need to order the updated solenoid as it's not switching power from the battery side to the starter side if it just clicks. The internal contacts have probably burnt up which can happen at any time..Plus Polaris doesn't usually update part numbers unless there were problems on the original one that have been hopefully taken care of.

Old 07-28-2013, 06:20 PM
Trailblazer

ok, Thanks again for all of your help OPT! I'll order a new solenoid and see if that's the problem.

Quick Reply: 1999 trailblazer no electrical power