Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Magnum 500 and Goodyear Mudrunners

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-1999, 12:38 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kagey and Magnum500,

I was checking everything over on my Magnum the other night and discovered that I actually had misread my tire guage before going out last sunday. I had 9lbs in them instead of 6! Yes, I do need (and have) glasses to read. I adjusted the pressure and now my ride quality is back to what it was before. Whew...I not forget those pesky glasses next time!

------------------
Donald J. Dickinson 99 Magnum 500, 99 Sport 400L Ooh yeah!

Old 08-19-1999, 01:02 AM
Range Rover

hc,

Mine are still really new and only been out on the trail once for about 30 miles, but that was 30 rough miles. Maybe I can help answer some of the items on your shopping list:

1. Steering: Undeniable, definate improvement, much easier steering

2. Tread wear: Just too soon to tell

3. Hard pack ground: Works very well, just make sure that your air pressure is right! They do not wander and feel very stable.

4 Low end torque: Can't say that I noticed any difference. This Magnum 500 has so much power not to sure that you would notice any loss!

5. Going over logs: Did that!! They're GREAT, of course I didn't get much of a chance the first time I took the Magnum out with the dunlop tires on it. The logs across our path that day would need a chainsaw with a 5 foot bar to get thru!

6. Loose but dry ground: Can say for sure there is a major improvement over the Dunlops, a lot less wheel spin happening putting more of the applied for torque to the ground. They just seem to bite in and hold on better.

7. Mud: Can't wait to try! Been dry here since I got my Magnum (except for morning fog and drizzle), but never fear this is Northern Ca. and it will rain and rain and rain = mud mud mud. I have 13 acres of property and some of it is very boggy in the winter, I WILL find out, soon!!

------------------

Old 08-19-1999, 01:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

Jerry I have had mine in some mud and that is where these tires really shine.The only time I been stuck is when the whole chasis bottoms out I mean you can feel each lug bite with these tires and they clean out real good in the sticky stuff like clay.

99Mag500.....a true 4x4

Old 08-19-1999, 04:29 PM
Pro Rider

These tires will not plug-up as long as you have the power to turn them over, as for wear I have ridden several miles on asphalt,hard pack,mud cut-overs and power lines and they still look good as new!!

Old 08-19-1999, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally feel the goodyear mud runners to be at the top of the mudding list when compared to other mud tires.In fact ,I was very dissappointed that Dirt Wheels did not include the mud runners in their mud tire shoot out.But since Goodyear is not one of Dirt Wheels sponsers,they lose.I;ve personally mudded my quad[99 Sportsman-''junk by the way''] in mud boags in Michigan against the other mud tires,I like the mud runners alot.They are excellant for plowing snow too.I just wish I had a reliable 4x4 to keep than on.My vote definatly goes out to the Mud Runners.

Old 08-22-1999, 01:23 PM
Pro Rider

Hi guys, I’m wondering if one of you could do me a favor. Based on the comments posted here I’ve just ordered a set of Mud Runners from Polaris and I’m wondering how tall they REALLY are. I mean, if you’re parked on a flat surface and you set a level on the top center of the tire and read the distance between the level and the floor on a tape measure what kind of numbers are you getting front and rear? The stock tires on my Sportsman measure 24 ¾” rear and 24” front when properly inflated. I’m partly wondering what kind of increase in ground clearance to expect with the new tires and also trying to get a feel for why they recommend 26” on the rear and 25” on the front when going to the Mud Runners. I’m thinking that maybe putting an 8” tire on the narrow stock front wheel increases its height to being closer to the rear tire’s height and closer to the height difference between the stock tires. Just curious, Thanks.

FloodRunner, on the Wisconsin River

Old 08-22-1999, 11:04 PM
Range Rover

Hey Bill, Just a thought, and please don't take this the wrong way. But, do you have the mechanical ability to check your quad out, bypassing the dealer ( who seems to be a loser anyway) and getting your machine in top running order so that at least you can enjoy it? Or at least find an independant motorcycle mechanic that can get that thing in order. I (think I) know how frustrated you are about it. You know out here in California when it comes to automobiles there is a lemon law that limits the number of times an owner has to put up with returning a vehicle to the dealer for repairs before he receives a completely different vehicle from the same manufacturer or his money back. Don't know what state your in but usually "how California goes ...so goes the nation" so maybe you could check that out with your states consumer affairs burrough and get something done.

Good luck. Would like to have you satisfied with your SP500. We ALL know the dissatisfaction that you have to date!

------------------

Old 08-25-1999, 02:17 PM
Pro Rider

I installed the GoodYear MudRunners when I had about 25 miles on my '99 SP500 in August of '98. The Steering is definitely lighter than the stock GoodYear Tracker P's that came on the quad. Tread wear - it's too soon to tell but they seem fine. Hard Pack - good grip, rumble a little at very low speed but smooth right out. They will handle any power you give 'em. They seem to crawl over logs with no trouble and grip fine in loose gravel, or as well as anything can grip. I've had them in mud, but mud varies a lot in various locales. I'm not sure if they are as good as Vamps, or Tri-Claws in real mud, but I'll bet they will compare favorably. In my opinion they are a better all around tire than either. I'm only in real mud less than
5% of the time. ATV Magazine is the only people to do a test so far and that was a while ago. They made 'em sound pretty good.

www.godigital-design.com/schultzmotorsports

Old 08-25-1999, 06:50 PM
Pro Rider

You guys that are running Mud Runners, what sizes are you running on what machine? Some where I heard or read that Polaris recommends 26x12s on the rear and 25x8s on the front. I assumed that this was to stay close to the ¾” height difference between the front and rear stock Trackers (fronts are shorter). I had just ordered a set of Mud Runners in theses sizes from Polaris Monday when a friend called to say he’d just bought a set of them in 26x12 for the rear and 26x9 front, and mounted on his stock Sportsman wheels the fronts were 1 1/8” shorter than the rears. Imagine how much shorter the 25” fronts would be! Nowhere close the to the stock difference, that’s for sure. So I canceled the order from Polaris and I’m getting 26s all around for mine, like he did, but I’m putting the fronts on my ITP wheels which are an inch wider than stock. I know, that’ll make the fronts even slightly shorter than they are on the narrower stock rim but I can’t see putting a 9” wide tire on a wheel that was made for a 6” wide tire. Anyone care to comment on this discrepancy?

------------------
FloodRunner, on the Wisconsin River

Old 08-25-1999, 07:19 PM
Pro Rider

He must have quoted the size to you wrong did you see them?

------------------
Kevin Gowdy AKA-Kagey1999 Polaris Magnum 500