Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

01 polaris trailblazer 250 4x2

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013 | 07:01 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default 01 polaris trailblazer 250 4x2

I have a 01 polaris 4x2 trailblazer 250 2 stroke. I have a few issues with it that i would like some help with. First off. it wont go into reverse at all. It sits like its in nuetral. goes into high gear and moves forward fine. Is this a simple fix?

2nd, there is a black wire coming out of my CDI box, when its plugged in, there is no spark and it wont run. When i unplug the wire, it runs, but none of my kill switches work. I have to plug in the wire to kill the motor.

3rd, My wheeler starts just fine, 1st or second pull, but wont run with the throttle wide open. It bogs down, but runs fine idle thru maybe half throttle.

Can anyone give me some pointers or advice on how to tackle this? It was a free quad that came with a pick up truck trade i did (i got a zero turn mower, 18' flat bed car trailer, a artic cat 350 4x4, pick up truck, and the polaris trailblazer on trade). Any help would be appreciated.

thank you

Old 06-10-2013 | 07:22 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Check your linkage and the belcrank( trans shift lever) for any stripping.Make sure all linkage is tight. If reverse still doesn't engage you could have a slider dog gear,reverse gear or other problem. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse
One of 3 things usually on the 2nd problem. You could either have a short in the left hand kill switch or the ignition switch itself. This black wire from the cdi is the ignition kill wire.It ties into both the ignition switch and kill switch to where either can kill the engine. If you can eliminate any short in either switch,the cdi itself can have an internal short where the black wire will automatically kill the machine if connected.I've had this happen several times. Some people choose to replace the cdi,some have chosen just to choke the engine down to kill it!
3rd problem could be just needing a good carb clean(main jet partially clogged?) or a new carb kit.Carb Rebuild Kit Polaris Trailboss Trailblazer 250 2 4W | eBay
Plus a good manual would help on any repairs/trouble shooting.Here's 2003 250 pdf service manual,some differences,but the engine,mechanical and electronics should be close. Index of /ORV Manuals/Polaris/Trail Blazer/2003 OR you can get a hard back manual on Ebay.

Old 06-10-2013 | 07:41 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

I know the guy i got it from had someone try to hot wire the quad, he cut a few wires that go to the key ignition. I reconnected the wires (matched colors), and the keyed ignition wont turn off the machine either. with all the switches off and the key off and removed the machine will still run. does this point to anything in spacific? sorry i did forget to mention it. I dont have a issue with this, i just would like to know how to fix it.

Old 06-10-2013 | 07:56 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Like I mentioned,it could be as simple as a bad ignition switch shorting out internally as one of the three things. OR the previous owner was just cutting wires trying to find out the problem himself as I've seen a lot of people do. If you've got this wiring back together right,then check out the left control switch wiring that goes down the bars to the front panel.Any short of short/bare wire could be the problem. The pdf link I gave you has a wiring schematic that can help you ohm out the ignition switch,plus check out the other wiring. Again if the ignition switch is ok,left emergency kill switch ohms out ok also,then it's possible the kill circuit in the cdi module itself has shorted out.