Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

4x4 awd symptoms : help me narrow it down please

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 07:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4 awd symptoms : help me narrow it down please

Hi - have a 1994 300 4x4 that I've been fixing up. Looking for help identifying remaining electrical / switch / 4x4 issues. Here's what i've done recently: changed fluid in hubs (but haven't torn them down), repaired wiring on one side (to hub), verifyied that both hubs work by putting up on stands and engaging 4x4. Other things that may be notworthy is that that it is running pretty well, have changed tranny fluid and it shifts smoothly. Prior to tranny fluid change i had some intermittent issues with it killing when i try to shift in reverse.

Current sysmptoms and observations: 4x4 works if and only if i hold the 4x4 button down (light on while holding button it), works in reverse too, 4x4 button does not click down (lock in), it just pops out when you let go. Also, i'm not sure the 'rev limiter' is working properly because seems that I can rip backwards as fast as I want without needing override (and the black wire / rev limiter is hooked up).

What should I test or do next? help?

Old 06-14-2013, 09:11 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

The intermittent dieing in reverse is usually because of the limiter. I'd unplug the black wire from this module anyway as almost all of them fail.You shouldn't have full power in reverse without holding the over ride button down. If you don't have to,then sounds like the limiter is already having problems.If the awd button won't lock down you can order a new one(high $ switch) or try to find a used one on Ebay.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks. i will unplug that wire again and see if it makes any difference. with regards to the switch:

- do you know if there is anything 'fixable' or 'rebuildable' about the click in, click out function of the switch? or maybe adjustable?

- would you have any advice for how i might be able to wire in a generic switch? Ideally a way to wire in a switch by tapping into the wiring block, vs. cutting wires in the harness.?

thanks for your time/advice

Old 06-14-2013, 10:42 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Switch is not rebuildable or "adjustable". The light itself along with the switch wiring completes the circuit for the awd. On later models the light had no function for the awd,just as an indicator.Here's the pdf service manual and shows the schematic diagram on how the switch works.Just look under any model schematic as the awd is the same on wiring. Index of /ORV Manuals/Polaris/1985-1995 - All Models

Old 06-15-2013, 04:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

OPT - thanks for the great link! I'm not great with schematics, but with respect to installing a custom (non factory) toggle switch to serve (take over ) the function of the AWD switch, and if I want to tap into panel vs. cutting into existing switch, will this work?

Assuming toggle has 3 connections (power, ground, and 'accessory'):

power to Red/W

Ground to Brown

'accessoary' to Gray

Old 06-15-2013, 04:06 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Give it a try and see how it works.I took the easy way out,the only way I could since I was at a shop and had to do it right ,I replaced bad parts with good parts!

Old 06-18-2013, 09:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default switch fixed

OK, first I went ahead and bought a new/used replacement switch off ebay. Tonight I figured that while I wait for new switch I have nothing to lose by taking my existing switch apart and seeing what I can see or learn about the switch.

The short story is that there was crud in switch that was preventing the 'in and out' function from working properly (i.e. switch would pop out and go 'off' if I let go with thumb).

Couple suggestion if someone else opens up the switch for their first time:
- you don't need to disconnect wire harness
- after taking off main 2 visible screws, remove the small brass looking screw (backside) and set aside
- take a loot at the 'guts' of switch and note that you'll be able to slide them straight out the back, but before you slide it out be ready for a spring to fly out / away as you pull it apart. I found my spring, but if I had it to over again I think I might have put a plastic bag over it to 'catch' the spring.
- Then it is pretty much just a very careful clean and put back together job, being careful of the small / delicate parts inside
- I knew the electrical contacts of my switch worked already, but took the chance to clean them all up with contact cleaner.

Switch now seems to work like new, and it clicks in and holds fine until clicked again! woo hoo - guess i'll have a throttle and switch to sell.

Trending Topics

Old 06-19-2013, 10:39 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Good post for those that like to or have the time to tinker/tear apart things. Plus saves you some serious $. If a tech did this it would cost more in labor than the price of a switch..

Old 06-19-2013, 11:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

I understand what you mean, but it only took about 10 minutes and I didn't even really know what i was doing (first time). Not mentioning the time factor to argue your point, just putting it out there for someone/anyone else who may consider trying it.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:25 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

That's what the forum is about! Ways to save money and ways to do it yourself.