Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

New and a question for everyone. Overheating issue.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 03:48 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Do you still have seepage from the base gasket as you did in the video you posted? If so,then this could still be the problem on air getting into the system..

Old 09-29-2013, 04:03 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The seepage is all gone. I wonder if the fuel line I used to go from the filler neck to the overflow is too narrow and takes more pressure than the rad cap to move fluid through it which would be why the coolant pushes put the cap and it sucks air in the cap when it should be pulling fluid from the overflow...

Old 09-29-2013, 04:21 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Just change to the correct size line and see.. Still I keep going back to the leaking base gasket. Even if the mechanics that replaced the head gasket may have torqued the head down a little tighter and no visible signs of leaking coolant from the base gasket,air could still be sucking air. If changing the hose doesn't help,you've replaced the cap already,plus a new thermostat,and system has been bled countless times,radiator is clean and fan cycles on and off,then I'd still suspect air coming in some where. Try the new hose and bleed it again and post back.

Old 09-29-2013, 06:53 PM
Trailblazer

So I changed the hose out and bled it and it is still overheating. The light on the dash has never come on so I think it is burned out but the radiator cap gets coolant and steam pouring out until the coolant is low enough that its just steam pouring out.

There is no coolant in the oil however. Would there be any indicators of the base gasket being blown. The other possibility is the head gasket wasn't seated well when installed.

Would a coolant pressure test tell anything about the base gasket? Thanks for the help on this. It is definitely frustrating to do all this and still not have a running machine.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:24 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Yes by all means do a coolant pressure test. It must hold 10 psi with no drop in pressure.If it drops you need to find the source of the leak,whether it's the base gasket,head gasket,hoses,etc.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:21 PM
Trailblazer

It doesn't hold pressure long and it almost sounds like its leaking air out the filler neck or somewhere up there slowly. Could a leak in the filler neck be causing issues like this?

Old 10-02-2013, 02:21 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

YES,the filler neck can crack,hoses can seep at the connections,gaskets seeping,etc. Try the same thing as they do with leak down testing on 2 strokes. Spray soapy water around the base gasket,head gasket,filler neck and hoses and connections and see if you see bubbles while you have someone keeping pressure built up on the tester.Hopefully you can find the source of the problem.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:19 PM
Pro Rider

My filler neck actually warped a little on one of my many overheat situations which made it impossible for the radiator cap to seal properly.....I think the part was $15 bucks

Old 10-09-2013, 04:50 PM
Trailblazer

Swapped out the filler neck and it holds pressure. Next a run test but I think that May have been the issue all along. Hate and love it when it's something simple.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:28 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by summit
Swapped out the filler neck and it holds pressure. Next a run test but I think that May have been the issue all along. Hate and love it when it's something simple.
Similar to can't find the forest for all the trees and can see the stars but still not see the light type situation. Hope this solves the problem you've been pulling your hair out about.

Quick Reply: New and a question for everyone. Overheating issue.