Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Another really fun day!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-1999, 01:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love to here people having fun Jerry couln,t agree more the Magnum 500 is awesome. Ride hard fly low

------------------
Kevin Gowdy AKA-Kagey1999 Polaris Magnum 500

Old 08-16-1999, 02:40 PM
Range Rover

Ok ok, maybe this is starting to sound like a broken record or something but after the second time out with my Magnum 500 I still have nothing but high marks for it, as well maybe a few revalations.

We started early this morning about 6:30, we had to travel over 90 miles to our planned ride area in the Smith River Canyon of Northern Calif. As soon as I went out side this morning I just knew it was going to be a good day for riding, since most of the country has had warmer than average temps, we have had a much cooler summer. Lots of fog and drizzle, anyway, today was a picture perfect day. I loaded up the quads and my son and I went to pick up a friend who just bought (would you believe it) a 99 Sportsman 500 yesterday! It was a choice between a Victory motorcycle or a quad. He said he could have one or the other but not both. What a friend, he chose the Polaris quad! So after loading his quad on the trailer too, we were off! (skip the trip details) We arrived at our riding spot around 9:00am, unloaded the bikes, geared up and with forest service map in hand we were finally ridin'! This place turns out to be a pretty neat place to ride as there a quite a few old mining roads to follow which are somewhat rugged, lots of washouts to work thru, boulders in the way and small trees that have fallen across the path.

I was anxious to check out the capabilities of the new Mudrunners I put on this week so we found a nice steep section and headed on up. I went first, my friend second and my son next. I felt really confident going up that section, didn't hardly slip a tire. And the lighter steering feel of the new tires was even lighter up this grade! I do feel that the tires took some of the nice ride away, however the added traction so far make up for that loss. My buddy on the Sportsman came up that section just fine but there was a fair amount of wheel spin (must be tires). But the real surprise for me was watching my son come up that section on his Sport 400. He has really taken to this sport already, he may be working from a deficit not having AWD but I tell ya he really made it look easy. I was both impressed and proud! When heading back down of course the EBS worked great, my boy had to rely totally on the brakes. I watched him come down that and to my surprise he handled it quite well. I asked him once we were back on the main trail how it was coming down, he just smiled. Not sure if was fear or pleasure on his face! We rode on.

The revalation that I experienced on my Magnum, folks we were up and down and up and down these hills all day long, crossing fallen trees, bobbing (if thats the right term) over rocks, working wash outs and long flat runs. Through all of that the thought crossed my mind near the end of the day 'what if I had to shift the trans all day long'. I was actually pretty tired by the time we were done around 5:00 this evening, BOY am I glad this thing is an automatic (go ahead call me lazy but I'm still glad) I remember riding dirt bikes for day long runs and sometimes by the end of the day I would have a pretty sore toe, not anymore!!

Anyway I end this dribble with this summarization: I was really going to end this with some smartass remark (just to try and tweek a couple of guys) about making it out of the hills under our own power and not being towed. But instead we again just had a really great trouble free day and a heck of a lot of fun! My buddy is completely thrilled with his Sportsman, I think he'll get some good use of it and hopefully won't miss the Victory he could have had. Can't wait for the next trip, my son wants to do some riding on the beach, I dunno, I think he's trying to set me up!

Those are my thoughts thanks for your time!

------------------
Donald J. Dickinson 99 Magnum 500, 99 Sport 400L Ooh yeah!

[This message has been edited by jerry (edited 08-16-1999).]

Old 08-17-1999, 12:46 PM
Trailblazer

Jerry,

I'm so glad to hear of your adventures and experiences on a Magnum 500. Your stories and comments have played a big part in me deciding on which Polaris to purchase. I just couldn't decide on such a wide line-up. But after hearing all the good stuff and all the fun you have had on the machine I'm about 3-4 weeks away from one myself. Thanks for the stories and keep them coming:-)
By the way, next time you go to your dealer(by the way your quad is running it may be a while),tell him that you helped sell a Magnum 500 and you need some free stuff. It is worth a shot:-)

Mudman '96 Xplorer 300 4x4 Vamped (for sale)
Soon to add Magnum 500

Old 08-19-1999, 12:30 AM
Range Rover

Mudman1:

Thanks for the kudo's. I just may take your advise and see my dealer, I missed out on the gun deal by a couple of weeks, send me your proof of purchase and maybe I can talk him in to it! Just kiddin'.

I really hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine. And I really do recommend those Mudrunner tires, man what a difference in steering effort, as well as traction. I did have a little stiffer ride but I found that someone was reading the tire pressure guage wrong,(didn't have my glasses on) had 9lbs in them instead of 6! Now it seems back to normal as to ride quality. I will keep you posted on further adventures. Thanks for your thoughts and time!

------------------
Donald J. Dickinson 99 Magnum 500, 99 Sport 400L Ooh yeah!

Old 08-19-1999, 09:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

JERRY,
Glad to hear you are having so much fun with the new quads. I, and it seems others, really enjoy these post. I was ready to buy the new magnum, but found a DEAL on a 98 sportsman, 1200 miles, $3500. Had all dealer service, and new tires. couldnt afford to pass that up. I do like it so far, but a big difference than the scrambler. Think it will work out well for my needs.
Keep up the post, and good luck.
ride hard--never lift!!!

------------------