Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 570!?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 02:09 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
Yep, I have more heat against my legs with the Can-Am than I did with the Polaris. I haven't seen where the 570 has the battery. I hope it's in a more accessible spot than my X2 had. Up inside of the front right tire, tucked in towards the middle.

My son and a buddy's son both rode RZR 570's out on the Paiute Trail in Utah. Marysvale, UT where we stayed was about 6,500 ft. and the trail got up to nearly 11,000 ft. in places. They both said the 570's had good power off the line but were lacking on top end at the higher elevations.
It's in a very similar spot to where it was on my X2, but seems easier to get to for some reason. Been about 4-1/2 years or so since I had the X2, so maybe my memory is a little clouded...

Old 06-12-2015, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by bobx2
It's in a very similar spot to where it was on my X2, but seems easier to get to for some reason. Been about 4-1/2 years or so since I had the X2, so maybe my memory is a little clouded...
I learned an important lesson about when you take the positive lead off a battery in tight quarters near the engine block. Don't wear one!!! Wedding ring is a great conductor. Almost welded my ring to the block. Burnt my finger pretty bad too. Lesson learned.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:51 PM
Trailblazer

The battery location is deceiving. It LOOKS like it's easy to access. But once you try to get to the terminals with tools you realize it's not. You're down on your knees or laying on your side in mud/dirt/gravel trying to get your arms between the tire and plastic fender and you have to reach in there pretty far. You have to be able to contort your body to get it done, and that's IF you can get the latch off the bracket. Quite the PITA actually.

I prefer the location under the seat like previous ATVs I've had. Now THAT is easy access.

I saw a pic of one guy's 570 where the driveshaft was actually making contact with the battery. Not good! Mine is very close but so far hasn't hit it.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Under the seat to me would be the no-brainer location for any battery on any atv. Polaris seems to be contrary to this sound philosophy. I had a scrambler before and they put the battery under the rear fender, still not a bad location but not protected from mud or water. It just sat on a little shelf, held in place by a factory bungy cord. The seat would keep the battery from ever coming in contact with water and mud or anything that might pop up on the trail and make contact with it.

Old 06-16-2015, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Anytime I had to take a lead off the battery after the ring incident I just took the front right tire off after jacking up the quad. Found that to be as easy as it can be. I also think under the seat is the best place.

Old 06-16-2015, 03:23 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does the 570 have a rear storage compartment like the 500? If it does a battery under the seat would cut down on the size of the box but it might still be a good place for it.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:57 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The 570 has a large front storage compartment under the front rack. Good place to keep a few tools, tow strap, tire repair kit, first aid kit, even some snacks if you get hungry. I think it even has a drain plug so it could even be filled with ice and be used as a cooler though probably not recommended but I'm sure its been done by many owners. The point is, it appears to have plenty of storage besides having lots of rack capacity. Putting the battery in seemingly the worst place possible makes no sense. Under the seat provides the most protection and the highest point possible. It may not be sealed but a splash of water or mud won't touch it normally. It may not really affect anything but I'd rather keep my battery and terminals dry and clean. A battery in an exposed location most likely will have a shorter life than one in a better protected location.

Old 06-22-2015, 03:09 PM
Range Rover

You guys crack me up on how you just can't let go of something as petty as a battery location. For some reason you can't seem to understand how mounting the battery as far forward and as low as possible is, in fact, the proper location. Again, it does not hurt a thing for it to get wet, or even muddy. If someone's front drive shaft got up against it, something was broken. They had much bigger issues to worry about at that point.
How often do you actually need to access your battery? I mean really. In 8 years of riding, only one time have I needed to access the battery terminals. That was to install the winch cables on my X2, back in '08. Other than that one time? Never! I guess if folks have to stretch that far to find something to complain about, it must be a pretty solid machine. It's one of those "if I can see it, it must be a bad place for it" situation. If it was mounted there, and you couldn't see it, everyone would say how clever Polaris was, to mount it there to keep the weight where it should be, low and up front.

Old 06-23-2015, 02:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 570 Camo Edition and I love it.
Engine braking, bigger tires in the rear over the standard 570, and did I mention Camo?
2014 with 55 hours on it. 235 miles. Its a baby.

Old 06-23-2015, 02:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Also, within a month of getting the quad, I put the new battery in my 250 Trailblazer and bought an X2 POWER sealed gell battery. Have not had to touch it since Dec. 2013. And the 570 has storage in the rear right between the tail lights. I suppose you could put a battery there.

Quick Reply: Sportsman 570!?!