Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris Sportsman 90 winch install

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 09:22 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris Sportsman 90 winch install

Now, I know a lot of people are going to question this. Here it is. My daughter is 9, and she loves doing things on her own. She also hates having to wait for someone to pull her out of mud, or anything else that gets her stuck. I have installed winches on mine and the wife's Rancher 420's, and on our other daughter's Recon 250. So, our 9yr old felt really left out. I informed her that the math just does not work, there is too much draw on the little battery. I battled it for months, and finally gave in. Knowing I will need spare battery and stator, just in case. So the hunt began for the smallest and lowest draw winch I could fine. I was looking at the Warn XT15, Superwinch, and other brands. However I really did not want to spend more than $150 for a pet project. After weeks of searching I came across a winch that Polaris offers for most of their line, of course excluding the 90cc. I found a OEM Polaris 1500lb (PN 2876639). This is a plug-in play winch with very easy wiring, knowing that there was no on board winch wiring on the Polaris SP 90. This winch also comes with a encased mounting bracket. This is a total gamble on size, the SP 90 has a lot of empty space behind the front bumper. I found a brand new Polaris 1500lb on EBay for $150, and bought it. I got it in a few days, once I opened it I could not believe how compact it is. I took apart the front end on my daughters quad, and began to dry fit it. Knowing that the winch cable should be out of the top of the spool and not the bottom, it look like I would need to do some fabricating. Then I noticed with the winch cable coming off the top of the spool, all of Polaris's labels were upside down, hmmm! So, I flipped it.... Wow! almost a perfect fit. Of course the I could not use the stock mounting holes. I proceeded to drill 4 sets of U-Bolt holes in the bracket. I mounted and put everything back together, and could not be happier. It just looks like it was made for the machine! I will need to complete the wiring this weekend, and do the cutout in the front plastic bumper. Will keep you posted.

Attached Thumbnails Polaris Sportsman 90 winch install-img_0644-1-.jpg   Polaris Sportsman 90 winch install-img_0604.jpg   Polaris Sportsman 90 winch install-img_0637.jpg   Polaris Sportsman 90 winch install-img_0638.jpg   Polaris Sportsman 90 winch install-img_0639.jpg  

Old 08-09-2013, 09:47 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Looks good, Love the size of it. Does Polaris still have their winches made by warn?
This winch came stock on my Polaris in 2001.
I though it was great that Polaris chose Warn as their winch supplier.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:54 AM
Trailblazer

I think all Polaris winches are still made by Warn. This one just does not have the Warn branding. I had to purchase a microswich mounting kit. Looks like microswitch included is ment for pre-existing holes. My daughter knows, this is only to pull herself out, and not to pull anyone else. The more load on the winch, the more amps it draws.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:53 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a good looking winch. Make sure she knows and understands that a winch can take off fingers if they're in the wrong place.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:17 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Even if the winch is never needed it just plain looks cool on a small ATV like that. LOL
Winches are also handy to use as a tie down if you trailer the machine around.

Old 08-10-2013, 03:02 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Good little compact winch.Designed for the Hawkeye and Sportsman 300 and we installed a few on these smaller machines. You're right on having a spare battery as it could be a load on the small 5 amp Sportsman 90 battery.Just not enough umph versus the bigger 14 amp batteries. Let us know how it turns out.. Looks good

Old 08-12-2013, 11:41 AM
Trailblazer

I am very happy with the results. First I purchased more wire, since this winch was meant for existing wiring. I love to solder, and I am certified at teaching it. Soldered and heat shrinked the wiring. Installed the micro switch, still need to find the accessory wire in the pod (4 wires, tried the red and it is a hot). Tucked and tie wrapped everything for a clean and professional install. Then I needed to modify the front fascia\bumper cover. Took out the Dremel with a cut of wheel. First I trimmed off the whole perforated grill. Then little, by little I started marking a removing more plastic until the fit was snug. Only one issue came up, the bolt on the bottom does not line up. For now I drilled one hole on each side and use tie warps to secure it. I might use a heat gun to persuade the plastic where I want it. For now, this works for me. I think the end result is awesome! It almost looks stock, and looks like it came with the winch.

Attached Thumbnails Polaris Sportsman 90 winch install-front-view.jpg   Polaris Sportsman 90 winch install-back-view.jpg   Polaris Sportsman 90 winch install-close-up.jpg   Polaris Sportsman 90 winch install-side.jpg  
Old 08-12-2013, 03:42 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great job. It looks like the winch was made for that quad.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:18 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks jumbofrank! My daughter is very happy camper right now!
Hey OPT! By any chance do you know which wire might be the accessory wire in the pod, I know it isn't the red wire?

Old 08-13-2013, 10:41 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

On the full size machines the red/white is the acc wire that's hot when the ignition is turned on if that's what you're looking for.Can't remember on little Taiwanese wiring harness if there is a spare wire or not.If it's just for the actuator you may or may not have to splice into a wire.Here's a link to a 2009 youth model(50/90) pdf service manual if you don't have one that has the wiring schematic that may help. I never installed a winch on a 90 Let us know what you come up with.PartShark.com - Motorcycle Parts, ATV Parts, UTV Parts, PWC Parts, Powersports Apparel, Motorcycle Accessories for OEM and Aftermarket.

Quick Reply: Polaris Sportsman 90 winch install