Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman Throttle Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 04:29 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman Throttle Issues

Hey guys,

I have a "96 Sportsman 500 that i recently installed a engine on. I took it out to my farm and rode for several hours. These are the problems. If you press the throttle, it will keep going that speed until you press on the brake and wait until it goes back to idle. It seems like the throttle sticks and loosens up VERY Slowly. I have to turn off the key and turn it right back on to get it back to idle mode, somtimes more than once.

Old 09-28-2013, 04:37 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Make sure you have 1/8" slack at the throttle lever only.Adjust if it's too tight. Could be part of the problem if it is. Recheck the carb slide for sticking along with the slide diaphragm for any damage. Plus check for any air leaks around the intake manifold. All you have to do is spray contact cleaner around the carb area and if the idle changes,you've found at least one source of any air leak.

Old 09-28-2013, 04:45 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Make sure you have 1/8" slack at the throttle lever only.Adjust if it's too tight. Could be part of the problem if it is. Recheck the carb slide for sticking along with the slide diaphragm for any damage. Plus check for any air leaks around the intake manifold. All you have to do is spray contact cleaner around the carb area and if the idle changes,you've found at least one source of any air leak.
I don't think the throttle is sticking, cause if it was, wouldn't the lever button stick too? It feels normal on the throttle lever, just not going back to idling normally.

Sorry, just trying to explain what happens. Oh, and there's still a ticking noise.

How do i adjust the valves?

Old 09-29-2013, 12:39 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

The throttle cable just controls the butterfly valve on the carb. Engine vacuum controls the lift on the carb slide itself. Still sounds like an air leak,damaged carb diaphragm,lean float setting,jetting,etc. Valves set as .006 intake and exhaust. Down load this pdf manual. Will show you what to check and how to adjust the valves and trouble shooting.Index of /ORV Manuals/Polaris/1996-1998 - All Models

Old 09-29-2013, 06:25 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
The throttle cable just controls the butterfly valve on the carb. Engine vacuum controls the lift on the carb slide itself. Still sounds like an air leak,damaged carb diaphragm,lean float setting,jetting,etc. Valves set as .006 intake and exhaust. Down load this pdf manual. Will show you what to check and how to adjust the valves and trouble shooting.Index of /ORV Manuals/Polaris/1996-1998 - All Models
Ok, thank you. The fourwheeler ran great even with these problems. Didn't abandon me on a 3 hour ride at the farm.