Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2002 6X6 500 not charging/draining batttery

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 01:23 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 6X6 500 not charging/draining batttery

So I have a 6x6 that started draining the battery even with the key off. Pulled the recoil and cover and noticed a lot of water/rust inside and some black melted spots on the stator. Installed the new stator but it still drains the battery.

When I hook up a freshly charged battery there is a fat spark and then the battery voltage steadily falls off.

There are three yellow wires going from the stator to box(CDI?) under the front hood. If I leave these three wires off the battery doesn't drain and it starts/runs fine but of course it doesn't charge. Is it common for that moudule to short out or is there something else I should look at?

I'm guessing when the stator when it took the module out(or vice/versa).

Old 09-29-2013, 01:34 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

The stator yellow wires go to the regulator/rectifier. If the battery isn't receiving 14 volts while at an idle,this module has probably shorted out. If no charge is going back to the battery it will drain pretty quickly when using lights,when the fan kicks on,etc. This module is located at the front close to the radiator. Item # 10.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse
Plus here's a cheap place to buy them.Polaris ATV Rectifier Regulator

Old 09-29-2013, 02:02 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually with the key off its draining the battery just sitting there. From the time I screw down the last connection on a freshly charged battery to when I stand up and reach over to turn the starter key its pulled the battery down to below 10V and it won't turn over.

Also I'll have to recheck the year, its a bit different than the diagram, might be a 2005. Has the starter on the key vs the red kill switch and the box that the yellow wires plug into is a larg(ish) silver box.

Old 09-29-2013, 03:56 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Then replace this silver Sure Power ecm module! I've had plenty I've had to replace even after they got rid of The black Chinese modules and went to the American made Sure Power modules.On some I've installed three modules on the same machine! This module controls the charging,fan operation,and has several internal circuit breakers that can short and drain the battery and can in some instances damage wiring or catch on fire. This is from the original bulletin on the Chinese modules and applies to the American made ones too.. Item#8. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse