Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Tell us your "Big Air" stories!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2001, 02:07 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not a very good jumper so not many stories to tell. One pops into my mind though.

At the begining of winter, after a new snowfall I went out riding with Zorro. Of coarse, his Banshee got stuck and he called for the tow-rope. I was on a gravel road and he was about 150 feet in the field. I noticed a 2' to 3' high snowbank between he and I. I said to myself "must be powder...full throttle through it" I only got a ten or fifteen feet run but when I hit that bank...it was not all powder. Either there was a curb or frozen snow underneith and I went flying up in the air. Felt like I was slingshotted strait up, did some kind of unintentional figure with arm and leg in the air and came back down. It was not super high or far...but the kind of blooper that you laugh about for a long time.

Old 03-29-2001, 10:32 AM
Pro Rider

Xplor,
This is off the subject, BUT when I was in college, we all got drunk one night and went out destroying Snowmen. We would run and tackle the snowmen, throw our bodies head first into them. I almost broke my shoulder when I slammed into a snowman that had been formed around a 6' light pole in someones front yard. I laid there for at least ten minutes before I could get my drunk self off the ground. I am glad the homeowner did not come to the door. Anyway, you never know what is under that snow.
Greg

Old 03-30-2001, 02:07 AM
Pro Rider

ROTFLMFAOPIMP!!!

OMG Greg I wouldve loved to see that!

Old 03-30-2001, 11:57 AM
Pro Rider

Gregsims,
Don't tell stories like this!!!I can't stop laughing and everyone's looking at me!!! ahahahahah

Keep in mind that the day before, I had to pull Xplor on 5 miles because his dog's plug was too hot...these kind of stuff never happen on Yamahas (on Yams, just carbs getting of sync, axle getting loose...etc)
Xplor's jump was real fun to watch he was just riding like an old grandpa (seated, 10 mph), and it looked like a landmine exploded under him!! it was fun!

Old 03-30-2001, 09:27 PM
Trailblazer

We were riding at a place we call "the mines" here, and were playing around on a mound of dirt that is about 8'-10' tall with a 6' or so table top and pretty steep slope on each side. We had been hitting it just fast enough to clear the table top and come down on the down slope on the other side. Well, we had accumulated some spectators after a while, so I started getting a little braver. I hit the throttle really hard goin up after about a 30 yard run at it. I ended up clearing the entire table top and down slope on the other side. The impact when I hit the ground sent my face into the handle bars and headlight guards (thank God for full face helmets) and completely bottomed the front suspension (came down nose first a little on the left front), got a little side ways on me too. It felt like I was falling from the moon! Luckily, I was able to save the landing and pulled over beside the folks who had stopped to watch us. I pulled my helmet off and immediatley struck up a smoke. I looked over at the old guy beside me and smiled. He looked at everyone else in his group and said "You know, I don't think he meant to do that."

Old 03-31-2001, 02:08 AM
Pro Rider

Greg...I can just picture that! At least you were plastered, so it must have dulled the pain a bit!

LOL

Old 03-31-2001, 02:09 AM
Pro Rider

Zorro...It fealt exactly like a landmine!

Old 04-02-2001, 09:23 PM
Range Rover

Well my Big Air Story happened yesterday. I was riding with adamnieman and PudlJumpr. What happened is that I was going at a jump that I can get about a '33 jump off of this sand bar. When I did I hit it at the wrong angle and when I landed I was about two feet from a tree and couldn't stop fast enough slammed in to the tree at about 45mph flew off the quad and hit the tree. The quad is going to need a new front bumper, front rack, right hand wheelwell, and the right side A-Arm. Not sure how much this repair is going to cost yet but I think that it will be quite pricely.

It was my first good trail ride this year and my last for quite a while

'97 Xpress 300 2x4 (Busted)

Old 04-03-2001, 12:08 PM
Trailblazer

I ride in an area refered to as the shores. It's an undeveloped area in neighborhood in St Augustine Fl. It is mostly sand, trails and some grassy areas but it has some great jumps. There's one which is about 6-8' high and you can easily jump 25-30'. I usually jump it 3 or 4 times everytime I go, thats all my heart can take I get more and more throttle each time. But after reading these post I'm concerned about jump related damaged. I know most 4x4 owner manuals stated that the unit is not suited for jumping. My TB spends more time in the air than it does on the ground. Have any other TB riders had problems and does anyone have a chain tensioner installed.
Beefy250

Old 04-03-2001, 01:40 PM
Pro Rider

4 years ago I owned a '90 4x4 250 polaris. I took it out in our field where they had put in tile but hadn't covered the mounds yet....It was a blast...ever 60' you were catching air. I did this for a couple days and possibly got overconfident when a frozen dirt clod caused me to jump at an angle and the front landed first throwing me into a roll. All I remember is opening my eyes once to see my helmet hit the still spinning back tire. When I got up, I saw my atv 20' further from where I landed upside down. I was able to drive it home...but I could only make left turns cuz the handlebars were bent down so the the throttle would hit the gas tank.

I'm much more experienced now!!

'98 Xplorer 400, Boysen Pro-Reeds, K&N, Stock Scrambler Spring