Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

vsumner

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 05:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vsumner

I have a 2000 polaris 500 magnum. It is getting difficult to start and dies when it does. Once it gets going, it will die while riding. I can also smell gas which I couldn't before it started this problem. I'm not mechanically enclined so need non technical help if possible.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:10 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Couple things I'd check out. First would be the cam and if the exhaust lobe is starting to grind down. Common problem on 2000 and previous years. Another is a simple carb kit may cure all your problems.Worn needle and seat could be the cause of the gas smell. Plenty of them available on Ebay and here. MFG Supply

Old 10-04-2013, 07:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

How hard is it to do the carb kit? I don't know what a cam or exhaust lobe is. How much would it cost to get a repair guy to do it if I can't?

Old 10-04-2013, 08:21 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

If you plan on working on your own machine a service manual is almost a necessity. Here's a cheap 5 buck pdf manual that can help you along with other service/repairs on your machine.It's 2002 manual,but basically the same machine. 2002 Polaris Magnum 500 Service Manual PDF Download
Plus there are various videos on carb cleaning on Youtube similar to yours.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:42 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Start with the easy cheap stuff first. Hard to start ,I would look at the Pulse coil behind the recoil pull rope cover. Its next to the fly wheel. It may need cleaning. Mine got dirty with crud and stuff and was almost impossible to start. A lot of dirty water gets down the rope hole over time.

Bring your bike in and it should not cost much for a person to check your cam lob. There is a inspection plate on top of the motor. Usually when that wears out the bike back fires through the carb/airbox under the seat.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the advice. My son is going to look at it and if he doesn't think he can do an easy fix we'll take it in. He thinks its the carb float but he's not a mechanic.