Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2002 Polaris 700 Leak / Exhause Manifold to Y Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 08:36 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Polaris 700 Leak / Exhause Manifold to Y Pipe

Hey guys...

Just fired up my 2002 polaris 700 after it had sat for a couple of months. I could tell it had some type of what I thought to be just small exhaust leak from the exhaust manifold to the y pipe. Figured it just needed a new gasket or something.

Now there seems to be an oily substance on it that took a while to burn off the exhaust after I fired it up.

So what I'm trying to figure out is ..

1) should i replace the gasket between the y pipe and the manifold
2) is it not that and rather the valve cover (i imagine thats the only thing that could have oil it it (valves), then leak out over time after sitting)
3) read something about a possible breather tube that could be leaking ???

Trying to not do a rip and replace guess and test so wanted to ask. Thanks.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:09 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Replace the exhaust gasket at the manifold,also you might need to replace the exhaust "donut" where the manifold connects to the pipe if it's leaking/worn down.Bulletin was for all machines that were used primarily on the colder states. #11 is the donut.http://www.cyclepartswarehouse.com/f...2002&fveh=5601 http://www.nyrocatv.com/techtip.cgi?viewtopic=68
#8 on the manifold gasket.700s were bad about blowing gaskets.http://www.cyclepartswarehouse.com/f...2002&fveh=5601
One thing else to keep in mind is if you have the original Ducati ignition,they were prone to have problems and were replace by a#2202602 Kokusan ignition kit on affected models.Here's the pdf instructions on the kits.http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.aWM&cad=rja

Old 10-08-2013, 01:48 PM
Trailblazer

Yes I am in Michigan. Was the hose update a recall? I know there was a recall on this bike that was completed. Id have to call the dealer with the vin to figure out what the update was. I can also look at that tube when I get home....

Based on what you are saying its likely the exhaust manifold gasket and not the valve cover gasket? is there a way to tell?

Old 10-08-2013, 01:49 PM
Trailblazer

also heard napa has the donut as one of their part numbers, do you know if thats true?

Old 10-08-2013, 04:41 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

The bulletin was received by the northern dealers as we never even saw one down here.Look at the valve cover and see if it's covered in oil at the back where the hose connects.The bulletin called for just putting a slit in the hose to remove any condensation build up.Some have had oil dribble from the hose if the slit was at the bottom and accumulated oil mist over the valve cover. As far as the exhaust donut,take the old one to Napa and if they have one they should be able to match it up.Plus here's a list that some have compiled for other replacement parts from Napa,etc. Spam wordSpam wordSpam wordSpam word
Napa exhaust seal #31360.http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Re...Dp%3d3%26N%3d0

Last edited by old polaris tech; 10-08-2013 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Napa exhaust seal
Old 10-08-2013, 05:56 PM
Trailblazer

So warmed it up tonight took it for a quick ride and pulled it back into driveway. Little bubbles are coming from the bottom of the valve cover where it meets the head so I'm guessing a valve cover gasket is in need of replacement. Will do the donut and exhaust gasket while they are apart for good measure.

Assume it's an oily drip from the splash under the valve cover of oil?

Is it safe to run it with this small leak temporarily?

Thx.

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
The bulletin was received by the northern dealers as we never even saw one down here.Look at the valve cover and see if it's covered in oil at the back where the hose connects.The bulletin called for just putting a slit in the hose to remove any condensation build up.Some have had oil dribble from the hose if the slit was at the bottom and accumulated oil mist over the valve cover. As far as the exhaust donut,take the old one to Napa and if they have one they should be able to match it up.Plus here's a list that some have compiled for other replacement parts from Napa,etc. Spam wordSpam wordSpam wordSpam wordSpam word
Napa exhaust seal #31360.http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Re...Dp%3d3%26N%3d0

Old 10-08-2013, 06:12 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

As long as you have plenty of oil should be fine. Also have had some breather valve covers warp causing leakage. Aluminum ones are offered on Ebay now. They claim to be the cure on this if you read at the bottom of the listing.http://www.ebay.com/itm/RZR-800-SPORTSMAN-700-BILLET-CNC-VALVE-ROCKER-ARM-COVER-VENT-SNORKEL-KIT-BLOCK-/161120874348?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item25838d6f6c&vxp=mtr

Old 10-08-2013, 07:10 PM
Trailblazer

Hmmm.... took a look at your link and the plastic valve cover looks a lot bigger on my bike and covers the entire head???

Are we talking about the same thing? does that piece go under the plastic cover and Id have to take it off to see them?

Also, have you used these before with any luck?

thanks.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:19 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

This is the vent valve at the back of the main cover where the hose hooks to vent the crank case fumes. It can leak all over the main valve cover and make you think it's leaking there.Item#2.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 10-08-2013, 07:25 PM
Trailblazer

its around part number 220300, that i see the leak...

also this says kit, does that mean it comes with just the cover or anything else, gaskets etc? I now see the billet piece would sit on top, whats it function, my leak is around the bottom of the cover dripping on to the y pipe...

Quick Reply: 2002 Polaris 700 Leak / Exhause Manifold to Y Pipe