Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2002 Sportsman 400 4x4 speedometer/AWD

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 01:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Why? Had more problems with this awd switch that the bulb had to work or the circuit was broken. The change to the sliding led switch was a better move. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse
What about the switch question? Would there be any way to make it work?

Old 10-25-2013, 01:16 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Durbin77
Old Polaris Tech, two wires coming from the hub itself, the grey is hot and the other one is ground correct? So if I put 12 volts to these wires, the AWD should come on correct? Sorry about all of the questions, I have never messed with a system such as this one. Thanks a lot
Yes,but rather than tie a red/white(aux hot wire with key on) to each gray wire to a toggle switch lug and tieing the brown wires to the other,just try rewiring the existing ground wires first. I know what your wanting to do on a toggle switch,but I would do this only as a last resort.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Okay thanks. But if I do have to resort to the toggle switch, should I tie the grey wire from both sides together and then to the switch, and the other side of the switch to the batter? Does that sound right? Thanks.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

Would it be possible to make a solid hub so it's in all time 4wd?

Old 10-25-2013, 01:40 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Okay thanks. But if I do have to resort to the toggle switch, should I tie the grey wire from both sides together and then to the switch, and the other side of the switch to the batter? Does that sound right? Thanks.
NO!!! Never tie direct to the battery. There should be an unused red/white(aux wire)under the front panel that's only hot with the key on that you could jump to the toggle tied with BOTH gray wires. Then Both brown wires to the other lug. If by accident this switch was engaged at high speed,possible damage to the system or injury could happen especially if one wheel kicked in first! Try the methods on regrounding existing wires first to see if you can regain the awd switch function!

Old 10-25-2013, 01:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

NO!!! Never tie direct to the battery. There should be an unused red/white(aux wire)under the front panel that's only hot with the key on that you could jump to the toggle tied with BOTH gray wires. Then Both brown wires to the other lug. If by accident this switch was engaged at high speed,possible damage to the system or injury could happen especially if one wheel kicked in first! Try the methods on regrounding existing wires first to see if you can regain the awd switch function!
Okay thanks, I'm going to try all of my options first before I even consider the switch. So both brown wires need to be grounded to the frame correct?

Old 10-25-2013, 02:00 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Okay thanks, I'm going to try all of my options first before I even consider the switch. So both brown wires need to be grounded to the frame correct?
Either to the frame, the coil mount,or where ever you see the most brown wires grouped together.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Either to the frame, the coil mount,or where ever you see the most brown wires grouped together.
Okay thanks, what about the full time 4x4 idea?

Old 10-25-2013, 02:31 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

All this would do is cause armature plates in the hubs to magnetize even quicker with constant current to the coils,same as if you left the awd switch on all the time which is not a good idea that many people found out. When one wheel or the other would lock in while even in two wheel drive mode it's not a good feeling! Just try the grounding method and see if it works and post back.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:45 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The Polaris can not be in constant 4wd , it would be like riding a ATV in full time diff lock and would be uncontrollable.
That's why its always in 2wd unless the rear wheels slip than returns into 2wd once the rear wheels regains traction. This is all done in a split second.
It would be impossible to duplicate manually.

Quick Reply: 2002 Sportsman 400 4x4 speedometer/AWD