Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2000 Polaris 500 cc HO Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 06:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you. Its a 2000 but close enough I guess.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Do you know if I can get an oil filter wrench for ATV filters at a regular auto parts store?

Old 10-30-2013, 06:10 PM
Range Rover

yes you can,just pick up an adjustable oil filter wrench,pretty cheap item,even Wally World sells them,and pick up your filter and oil
while you are there to save a few bucks

Old 10-30-2013, 06:18 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by boulderskies
Thank you. Its a 2000 but close enough I guess.
Click on the link,then click on the first one at the top. Goes from 1996 to 2003 models!

Old 10-31-2013, 09:39 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Thanks. I think its sliver but I know what you mean. And the filler dipstick thing is yellow...
You have the nicer Aluminium Alloy oil tank with cooling fins. They use weaker plastic container now with no cooling fins. Cost savings I guess.
That's the only real change. The oil change are the same on any year since the motor stayed the same.
I just take the oil filter on and off by hand.
Keep the oil Synthetic and do not go higher than 5w weight.

If your at Wal-Mart your want the their SuperTech ST6607 oil filter.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
If you don't have a manual,night be helpul if you did. Here's a pdf that can help you on service and repairs.Index of /ORV Manuals/Polaris/Sportsman/1996 - 2001
I went to a Polaris dealer today and spoke to a pretty knowledgable guy...he explained that on the 2000 500cc, there's an oil tank which is a triangular tank on the left side of the engine, with an oil dipstick and a drain plug. There's ALSO an allen screw underneath the engine. Both need to be opened and drained.
The question now is can I open that allen screw with a simple allen socket mounted to a ratchet type handle???

Old 10-31-2013, 04:38 PM
Range Rover

yes you should be able to use that,even a regular allen key would work as long as you can reach it.Not 100 % sure but that allen screw is to drain the crank case I believe.Some people just run the engine for 10 - 20 secs to get that last bit up and out into tank,but very important,no longer than 10 - 20 secs,you dont want to run the engine dry.And do that with old filter on.I dont relly like that procedure myself,IMHO if you do regular oil changes there is no need to drain the crank case,but I am sure there are people who would dis-agree and its totally up to you.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:59 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

I went to a Polaris dealer today and spoke to a pretty knowledgable guy...he explained that on the 2000 500cc, there's an oil tank which is a triangular tank on the left side of the engine, with an oil dipstick and a drain plug. There's ALSO an allen screw underneath the engine. Both need to be opened and drained.
The question now is can I open that allen screw with a simple allen socket mounted to a ratchet type handle???
"IF" you have a 500 there is no allen screw at the bottom of the engine! Think the dealer is thinking of a 700 or 800 that has a 6mm allen drain screw at the bottom. Other than the 9/16" oil tank drain plug,there is a 9/16 (14mm) drain plug on the right side of the engine for sump drainage(8 ounces) You don't have to remove this bolt as it's a little tight to get to because of the prop shaft right close to it. Just drain the oil tank first,leave the old oil filter on,crank the engine for about 10 seconds and kill it. The sump oil will then drain from the engine into the oil tank and out into the oil drain pan. Replace the oil filter,add two quarts of oil. Just down load the pdf service manual link I gave you and it will show you all about this engine!! If you don't drain the sump every time you drain the oil tank,you're adding 8 ounces of dirty oil to clean oil!

Old 10-31-2013, 05:10 PM
Range Rover

Well I will be draining the sump from now on!!!!!

Old 10-31-2013, 05:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
"IF" you have a 500 there is no allen screw at the bottom of the engine! Think the dealer is thinking of a 700 or 800 that has a 6mm allen drain screw at the bottom. Other than the 9/16" oil tank drain plug,there is a 9/16 (14mm) drain plug on the right side of the engine for sump drainage(8 ounces) You don't have to remove this bolt as it's a little tight to get to because of the prop shaft right close to it. Just drain the oil tank first,leave the old oil filter on,crank the engine for about 10 seconds and kill it. The sump oil will then drain from the engine into the oil tank and out into the oil drain pan. Replace the oil filter,add two quarts of oil. Just down load the pdf service manual link I gave you and it will show you all about this engine!! If you don't drain the sump every time you drain the oil tank,you're adding 8 ounces of dirty oil to clean oil!
Thank you. This makes the most sense and its what I'll do.

Appreciate all the help. My quad is up north and not out in the garage, hence all the questions.

Scott

Quick Reply: 2000 Polaris 500 cc HO Oil Change