Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Big tires with no lift - Let's see some pics.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 09:30 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My stock tires (26" radials) are 3 star which is supposed to be equivalent to 6 ply. I don't know what the 489s are.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:11 AM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
My stock tires (26" radials) are 3 star which is supposed to be equivalent to 6 ply. I don't know what the 489s are.
The 26"radials were the ACT's and came on the better equipped sportsmans LE ,deluxe models or rides with the aluminum wheels. They came in a 3 or 6 ply. I think the sportsmans came with the 3ply and rangers 6 ply. The base models that came with the steel wheel were equipped with the 489 and if memory serves me right they were a 3 ply. never like the 489's after a set of the ACT's. night and day difference. I stuck with 26" when I went to zilla's to keep the weight down. Going to a 27" is do-able but I wouldn't go any larger without clutching.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:13 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Each star =2 plies.
Polaris us to put 6ply tires on stock. My stock Goodyear P trackers were 6 ply.

Has a lot to do with weight also.
for example. 26x11 Zillas weight the same as 25x10 Mudlite XLs even though there a inch higher and wider and have a taller 1.19" lug. Both are 6ply as well.

Old 12-09-2013, 03:31 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by readymixer169
The 26"radials were the ACT's and came on the better equipped sportsmans LE ,deluxe models or rides with the aluminum wheels. They came in a 3 or 6 ply. I think the sportsmans came with the 3ply and rangers 6 ply. The base models that came with the steel wheel were equipped with the 489 and if memory serves me right they were a 3 ply. never like the 489's after a set of the ACT's. night and day difference. I stuck with 26" when I went to zilla's to keep the weight down. Going to a 27" is do-able but I wouldn't go any larger without clutching.
My Plain Jane model with steel wheels came with ACTs. I think they used them for a few years before they switched to cheaper 489s.

Old 12-09-2013, 04:13 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks guys. I am going with Interco Reptile Radials. Had a chance to ride my friends 500HO back on Labour Day weeked, he has them, totally work for my style of riding!!

Radial Reptile | Interco Tire

Old 12-10-2013, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
My Plain Jane model with steel wheels came with ACTs. I think they used them for a few years before they switched to cheaper 489s.
Huh? I never noticed the steel wheeled sportsmans with the ACT's only the ones with aluminum wheels. guess I should pay more attention.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:59 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by readymixer169
Huh? I never noticed the steel wheeled sportsmans with the ACT's only the ones with aluminum wheels. guess I should pay more attention.
My friends had Carlise Badlands XTR on his 04.5 500HO factory with the OEM silver steel wheels.

Why they went to the garbage bias ply is beyond me!?

Old 12-10-2013, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by WilliamBos
My friends had Carlise Badlands XTR on his 04.5 500HO factory with the OEM silver steel wheels.

when it comes right down to it, its all about the bottom line. $$$$$ Unfortunately many companies today care more about the revenue coming in vs quality going out the door. Sad but true.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:21 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I would not call bias garbage , it depends on quality there are some that are more expensive the radials.

Hard core Mud rider would never buy Radials since there is no serious deep lug Radial tires made., and those guys spare no expense on their tires.

Maxxis Mudzillas cost a lot more the Maxxis Bighorns.

I would not trade my middle of the road maxxis Zilla with a 1.19" lugs or Mudlite XLs 1.13"lugs for Bighorn 2.0 with their 0.75 lugs.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:44 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by TLC
I would not call bias garbage , it depends on quality there are some that are more expensive the radials. Hard core Mud rider would never buy Radials since there is no serious deep lug Radial tires made., and those guys spare no expense on their tires. Maxxis Mudzillas cost a lot more the Maxxis Bighorns. I would not trade my middle of the road maxxis Zilla with a 1.19" lugs or Mudlite XLs 1.13"lugs for Bighorn 2.0 with their 0.75 lugs.
If we had the options on R1 tires for these that the AG industry has, you would see the bias ply sales tank! I guess mud is about the only purpose that bias has left, radials cant be beat.

Quick Reply: Big tires with no lift - Let's see some pics.