Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

polse coil

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 05:15 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default polse coil

How do you set the gap on a 95 425 pulse coil.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:42 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by trouttracker
How do you set the gap on a 95 425 pulse coil.
Manual shows .016 -.035 typical "air gap" between the face of the pulse coil and flywheel tab. Problem is that the pulse coil hold down plate is not slotted and really not adjustable. You can do either one of two things if gap is too wide. Remove the plate and dremel the mounting holes out a bit to allow a little more adjustment or you can do as I've done before and slightly tap the whole bracket and coil carefully to close the gap(don't crack the coil). I've done several of these on the 425 and 500 to regain spark either because the pulse coil was getting weak or the gap too large from being hit from broken pull ropes,etc that pushed the pulse coil back. Plus you can always ohm out the pulse coil to make sure it's still with in specs. White to Red/White wire should be 97 ohms + or - 20%. Plus here's and older post about the same thing.

"Have Spark When Using Electric Starter"....

I really had my wits tested on this one, and it had me going in circles only to wind back up at the pulse coil (trigger). I was thinking, I had spark only when using the recoil, so what's up with that? I asked my self, one last time and if I couldn't figure it out, then I'll throw in the white flag, which is something I'm not doing without a fight

I remover the recoil cover last night after work, and began inspecting...

I looked at the pulse coil for any signs of rust, damage ect...nothing except for a large gap between the coil and flywheel magnet, I thought that looks incorrect, thinking back on all my years working on cars and small engines.

Well a while back the pull rope broke while engine was running. The cord wrapped around everything under the recoil housing and caused the starter bendix to jamb. I found frayed cord all over the place and bits of metal stuck to the magnet on the pulse trigger. I cleaned all this up and installed a new starter bindix, buttoned everything up, and that's when this no starting issue came up...well to shorten this up, apparently when the pull rope broke cord jamed everything up inside the recoil housing, it also pulled (bent) the pulse trigger down away from the flywheel magnet. In this position the trigger was only able to send the electrical pulse to the cdi to fire the coil, when using recoil starter, because it rotates the engine at a slower speed, than the electric starter, so the pulse coil could pick up that slower magnet of the flywheel and not the faster moving electric starter because of the large air gap, resulting in a no start when using electric starter, condition

feel free to correct me if I'm incorrect,

but when I bent the pulse trigger back up in the correct position and reset the air gap, re tightened the screws, installed the recoil housing. I went to check for spark at the plug with electric starter.....GOT BIG BLUE SPARK!!!!!!! now lets put the plug back in and see if she will fire up.....YES! YES! YES!!!! it fired up on the first hit of the key..
the end

thanks for all the input, and hope the information contained in this thread will help others

Old 11-30-2013, 09:49 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

It just on a thin bracket I just bent the thing until it was super close but not touching.
Works great I guess I just got lucky. LOL

Old 11-30-2013, 09:53 AM
Trailblazer

the pulse coil is under the flywheel right.

Old 11-30-2013, 12:33 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

It's out side of the flywheel. Small black module held by a u shaped bracket.If it cranks ok,just leave it alone.

Attached Thumbnails polse coil-060.jpg